Archimedes principle, bernoulli's equation

In summary, the first question involves using Archimedes' principle to determine the depth of the lead puck in a mercury bath. The second question involves applying Bernoulli's equation to find the pressure inside a garden hose. The third question involves calculating the maximum weight a helium-filled balloon can lift by considering the weight of the air displaced and the mass of the balloon itself. However, there may be errors in the given information, such as the density of helium and the mass of the balloon, so these should be double-checked.
Lalasushi
hey can any1 help me with these 3 questions?

1. a piece of lead has a shape of a hockey puck with a diameter of 7.5cm and a height of 2.5cm. If the puck is placed in a mercury bath it floats. how deep below the surface of the mercury is the bottom of the lead puck? [2.1cm]

(can anyone give me some starters help with this, like guide me in the right direction becuase I am really clueless about this one)

2. a garden hose is attached to a water faucet on one end and a spray nozzle on the other end. The water faucet is turned on but the nozzle is turned off so that no water flows through the hose. The hose lies horizontally on the ground and a stream of water sprays vertically out of a small leak to a hieght of 0.75m. What is the pressure inside the hose? [ans: 7.4kPa]

(i really have absolutely no idea with this because this is to do with bernoulli's equation but i really still don't have a clue)

3. A 0.12kg balloon is filled with helium (density = 0.719kg/m^3). if the balloon is a sphere with a radius of 5.2m, what is the maximum weight it can lift? [ans: 5.7kN]

(with this question, i tried finding the mass of the inside of the balloon by m = density x volume...where density = 0.179, and volume = 4/3 pi r^3...where r = 5.2...and my answer came out to be 105.43kg...multiplying that by 9.8 but that does not give me the right answer...so can anyone see what I am doing wrong?)

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's take 1.
a) What forces act upon the hockey puck in the equilibrium position?
b) If you designate the unknown penetration depth with "h", what equation for "h" does a) give you?
(Penetration depth is how deep the puck sticks down beneath the fluid surface in the equilibrium position.)

I'm not sure you need to look at forces themselves. Archimedes principle says that a solid will sink into a liquid until the it displaces a volume of the liquid that has the same weight as the solid. Lead will float on mercury because lead has a lower density than mercury (is that true?). Okay, what is the mass of this piece of lead? What volume of mercury has that same mass? Assuming a cylinder of radius the same as the lead, what height will give you that volume?

Well, I think the OP has trouble with stating/applying Newton's 2.law to start with.
That's rather troublesome.

That's why I chose to focus in on that approach.

But, different valid perspectives is hopefully to the benefit of OP.

Lalasushi said:
3. A 0.12kg balloon is filled with helium (density = 0.719kg/m^3). if the balloon is a sphere with a radius of 5.2m, what is the maximum weight it can lift? [ans: 5.7kN]

(with this question, i tried finding the mass of the inside of the balloon by m = density x volume...where density = 0.179, and volume = 4/3 pi r^3...where r = 5.2...and my answer came out to be 105.43kg...multiplying that by 9.8 but that does not give me the right answer...so can anyone see what I am doing wrong?)

It's a small effect, but don't forget the mass of the balloon itself when you calculate the weight of the balloon. Have you calculated the weight of the air displaced by the balloon?

thanks for the 1st question guys. I am still having trouble with getting the right answer for the 3rd question because i found the weight of air displaced by the balloon but the problem is that even if I did add the mass of the balloon itself, my answer is still 5 fold smaller than the right answer. what can i possibly be doing wrong??

Lalasushi said:
thanks for the 1st question guys. I am still having trouble with getting the right answer for the 3rd question because i found the weight of air displaced by the balloon but the problem is that even if I did add the mass of the balloon itself, my answer is still 5 fold smaller than the right answer. what can i possibly be doing wrong??

You have two very different numbers in your original post for the density of helium. It looks like you are using the larger one, which is incorrect. The mass of 0.12kg for the bolloon seems unrealistic. Using that number I get an answer that is larger than your posted answer by an amount that could easily be fixed with a realistic value for balloon mass. 72kg would do it. Check your numbers.

There is also some variation in published numbers for the density of air. What does your book say?

What is Archimedes' Principle?

Archimedes' Principle states that the upward buoyant force exerted on an object immersed in a fluid is equal to the weight of the fluid that the object displaces.

What is Bernoulli's Equation?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics that relates the pressure, velocity, and height of a fluid at a given point. It states that in an ideal fluid, the sum of the pressure energy, kinetic energy, and potential energy per unit volume is constant.

What is the difference between Archimedes' Principle and Bernoulli's Equation?

While both principles deal with fluid dynamics, they have different applications. Archimedes' Principle is used to calculate buoyant force on an object submerged in a fluid, while Bernoulli's Equation is used to calculate fluid pressure and velocity at a given point in a fluid.

How are Archimedes' Principle and Bernoulli's Equation used in real life?

Archimedes' Principle is used in various applications such as designing ships and submarines, determining the volume of irregularly shaped objects, and calculating the density of liquids. Bernoulli's Equation is used in the design of airplanes, cars, and other aerodynamic objects, as well as in the study of weather patterns and fluid flow in pipes.

What are some real-life examples of Archimedes' Principle and Bernoulli's Equation in action?

Some examples of Archimedes' Principle in action include a ship floating on water, a balloon rising in the air, and an ice cube floating in a glass of water. Examples of Bernoulli's Equation in action include the lift of an airplane wing, the flow of water through a pipe, and the formation of clouds in the atmosphere.