Find velocity of air using Bernoulli principle

In summary, the problem involves a horizontal stream of air blowing over the open end of a hares apparatus with an initial speed V. The density of air is 1.2 kgm-3 and the water column in the respective limb rises to 6 cm. Using Bernoulli's principle, the equation 1/2 x ρ x V2= P2 - P1 is used to find V. The correct answer may be found by setting V = 2ΔP/ρ, where g = 9.8 m/sec^2. The oil in the diagram is not relevant to the problem.
goatz4real

Homework Statement

A horizontal stream of air is blown just above the open end of the hares apparatus with an initial speed "V". The density of air is 1.2 kgm-3.Then the water column rises to 6 cm in the respective limb.Density of water is 103 kgm-3
Using Bernoulli`s principle find "V"

Untitled.png

Homework Equations

1/2 x ρ x V2= P2 - P1

The Attempt at a Solution

( 1/2 x 1.2 kgm-3 x V2 ) + ( 1.2 kgm-3 x 10 ms-2 x 6/100 m ) = 6/100 m x 103 kgm-3 x 10 ms-2

V = √1000-1.2
[/B]

*** This is the answer I got , but its wrong. Please help me out , I`ve tried this several times and I
keep getting the same answer

Physics news on Phys.org
goatz4real said:

Homework Equations

1/2 x ρ x V2= P2 - P1

The Attempt at a Solution

( 1/2 x 1.2 kgm-3 x V2 ) + ( 1.2 kgm-3 x 10 ms-2 x 6/100 m ) = 6/100 m x 103 kgm-3 x 10 ms-2

V = √1000-1.2
[/B]

*** This is the answer I got , but its wrong. Please help me out , I`ve tried this several times and I
keep getting the same answer
Your equation is correct.

The decrease in pressure is the weight of the 6cm of water per m^3 (measured in Pascals or Newtons/m^2) less the weight of 6cm of air per m^3. You can probably ignore the weight of the air because it is so much less than the water.

Then it is just a matter of setting V = 2ΔP/ρ.

If your instructions do not state that g = 10 m/sec^2 I would suggest that you use 9.8 m/sec^2 and see if that gives you the correct answer. If not, try ignoring the weight of the air and just use the pressure of 6cm of water as the ΔP.

AM

I confess I do not understand this problem. In particular I am confused that the diagrammed apparatus has two columns, one water and one oil, and that none of the discussion mentions the oil. Why is the oil irrelevant?

The oil is not relevant based on the information given. What matters is the pressure in the glass tube and in the beaker. The height of the fluid will adjust so that the pressure on the fluid under the tube is the same as the pressure at the same level in the beaker. Oil is less dense than water so the column of oil will be greater. Two columns are needed to show the Bernoulli effect. They could have used water in both but then they would have to distinguish between the left and right column.

Did you get the right answer?

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Two columns are needed to show the Bernoulli effect. They could have used water in both but then they would have to distinguish between the left and right column.
Hi Andrew:

Thanks for responding to my question.

I still have some confusion. I get that two columns are needed, but I thought that the difference between the heights of the two columns was relevant. Perhaps that is my misunderstanding. If the height difference is relevant, then the difference between water and oil density would also be relevant, but that was not discussed.

Regards,
Buzz

1. How does the Bernoulli principle relate to air velocity?

The Bernoulli principle states that as the velocity of a fluid (such as air) increases, the pressure exerted by the fluid decreases. This means that in a region of faster moving air, there will be lower pressure compared to an area of slower moving air.

2. Can the Bernoulli principle be used to find the velocity of air?

Yes, the Bernoulli principle can be used to find the velocity of air. This is because the pressure exerted by air is directly related to its velocity, according to the principle. By measuring the pressure at different points and using the principle, the velocity of air can be calculated.

3. What are the applications of using the Bernoulli principle to find air velocity?

The Bernoulli principle is commonly used in various applications, including aerodynamics, fluid dynamics, and weather forecasting. It is also used in the design of aircraft wings, which utilize the principle to create lift and generate thrust.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of using the Bernoulli principle to find air velocity?

The accuracy of using the Bernoulli principle to find air velocity can be affected by several factors, such as turbulence in the air flow, changes in temperature and humidity, and the presence of obstacles or barriers that can disrupt the smooth flow of air.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Bernoulli principle to find air velocity?

While the Bernoulli principle is a useful tool for calculating air velocity, it does have its limitations. The principle assumes that the fluid flow is steady, incompressible, and non-viscous, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. As such, it is important to consider these limitations when using the Bernoulli principle to find air velocity.