1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are all damped oscillations periodic?

1. Oct 26, 2015 #1
    I know the equation for damped oscillation where the damping force depends on velocity. In that case the damped oscillation has a fixed angular frequency and thus time period! I am wondering if there are any types of damped oscillation where the time period is not constant i.e. the motion is not periodic!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 26, 2015 #2

Krylov

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

For a free (i.e. non-driven) damped harmonic oscillator in the strongly damped or critically damped regime, the motion is not periodic. It's only periodic in the weakly damped regime.

If you consider a pair of undamped harmonic oscillators, then their phase space dynamics on the torus may display quasi-periodic (but not periodic) motion depending on the (ir)rationality of the ratio of their frequencies. This is probably the simplest example of non-periodic motion.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted