Are bonds formed in higher energy levels weaker?

In summary, the strength of a bond between 2p and 3p subshells cannot be determined by their position in the same group. The general trend is for 1st ionisation energy to decrease when moving down a group, as the electrostatic attraction between valence electrons and the nucleus weakens. However, when moving across a period, 1st ionisation energy increases due to an increase in effective nuclear charge. Bonds made with electrons in higher energy levels may be weaker due to expanded octets and repulsion, resulting in smaller bond angles. This can be seen in covalent compounds with trigonal bipyramidal and octahedral e- domain geometries.
TT0
If there was a bond in the 2p vs 3p subshell, which would be stronger? Taking into consideration that they are in the same group

Thanks

Chemistry news on Phys.org
There is no general rule that I am aware of. In some cases, you can only for molecules with excited atoms: excimer molecules.

Likes TT0
I see, thanks. But then when you move down a group, doesn't the ionisation energy increase? Or am I mixing two different things?

Last edited:
TT0 said:
I see, thanks. But then when you move down a group, doesn't the ionisation energy increase? Or am I mixing two different things?
Quite the opposite really, moving down a group the general trend is 1st ionisation values tend to decrease; this is explained by the increase in the number of occupied energy levels causing an increase in atomic radius, therefore electrostatic attraction between valence electrons and the nucleus is weaker. Hence, 1st I.E values decrease moving down a group as the atom requires less energy to be ionised and overcome the electrostatic attraction.

However, moving across a period 1st ionisation energy does increase as atom radius decreases; this is explained by the increase in effective nuclear charge (Zeff), therefore the valence electrons experience greater electrostatic attraction with the nucleus. Hence, 1st I.E values increase across a period as the atom requires greater energy to be ionised and overcome the electrostatic attraction.

Thought I might write this to help elucidate your question, hope it helps.

Yes, I suppose bonds made with electrons in higher energy levels are weaker as group three elements have expanded octets and thus can form more than the expected number of covalent bonds with other atoms. As a result, the electrostatic attraction could be weaker due to greater repulsion; this is probably explained by their smaller bond angles as electron domains form the greatest angles possible between one another to minimise repulsion. Hence, covalent compounds with trigonal bipyramidal and octahedral e- domain geometries tend to have smaller bond angles between electron domains compared to tetrahedral geometries, due to an increase in repulsion. This is just my guess.

Last edited:
Likes TT0
I see thanks mate

1. What are higher energy levels in chemistry?

Higher energy levels refer to the shells or orbitals in an atom that have a greater amount of energy compared to lower energy levels. These shells are labeled with the letters s, p, d, and f, with s being the lowest energy level and f being the highest.

2. How are bonds formed in higher energy levels?

Bonds are formed when atoms share or transfer electrons to achieve a more stable electron configuration. In higher energy levels, electrons have more energy and are therefore more likely to participate in bonding with other atoms.

3. Are bonds formed in higher energy levels weaker?

Yes, bonds formed in higher energy levels are generally weaker compared to those formed in lower energy levels. This is because electrons in higher energy levels are farther from the nucleus and are less strongly attracted to it, resulting in weaker bonding forces.

4. Can bonds formed in higher energy levels be broken more easily?

Yes, bonds formed in higher energy levels can be broken more easily compared to those formed in lower energy levels. This is due to the weaker bonding forces and the fact that these electrons are more likely to be involved in chemical reactions.

5. What are the implications of bonds formed in higher energy levels being weaker?

The weaker bonds formed in higher energy levels have implications in various chemical processes such as reactions and molecule stability. They can also affect the physical properties of substances, such as melting and boiling points, as these are influenced by the strength of the bonds between atoms.