Are Engineering Internships Frequently Only for Current Students?

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by recent graduates in finding job opportunities due to the requirement of having more experience. It is mentioned that most internships are only open to current students and some job listings specifically state that only current students can apply. The individual is unsure if it is worth applying to these jobs or if companies are open to recent graduates. The suggestion is made to reach out to the company's HR department to inquire about internship opportunities for recent graduates.
AManCanDream
I just graduated, but as most jobs want more experience than I have, it seems like my only realistic option is to get an internship. However, upon searching for internships I'm finding that the majority of them appear as if they are only accepting applicants who are still in school. Under the job requirements they frequently say things such as: "Currently enrolled in an engineering program", "Actively enrolled in an accredited engineering program", "Candidates should be in their junior or senior year", etc. Then there are the statements like "Student should have completed junior year or higher" which appear a bit more promising since I have completed junior year or higher, but once again I'm not a student.

So I'm just wondering if it's a waste of my time to apply for jobs that make these types of statements, or if companies simply expect only current students to apply but are open to recent graduates. Considering it takes a decent amount of time to tailor my cover letter and resume to the specific job, I don't want to waste time doing it for jobs that I'm disqualified from.

Physics news on Phys.org
In most cases, yes, you need to be a student. There is an exception to minimum-wage laws for students that does not apply to persons in general.

I'd suggest finding out who in HR at the company handles the internship recruiting/hiring. My company recently took on an 'intern' who just got their terminal masters degree, he apparently called the company, explained his background, and HR figured out some way to take him for a year as an intern. In short- there may be exceptions to the rule, but the only way to find out is to actually call the companies you are interested in.

1. What is an engineering internship?

An engineering internship is a short-term work experience program that allows students or recent graduates to gain hands-on experience in the field of engineering. It typically involves working on projects and tasks under the supervision of experienced engineers, and is intended to provide practical knowledge and skills that can be applied in a future career.

2. Are engineering internships only for current students?

No, engineering internships are not exclusively for current students. Many companies offer internships to recent graduates or individuals who are pursuing a career change in the engineering field. However, some internships may have eligibility requirements such as being enrolled in an engineering program or having a certain level of education and skills.

3. Why are engineering internships frequently only for current students?

Engineering internships are often targeted towards current students because they offer a unique opportunity for students to gain hands-on experience while still in school. This can help students apply what they have learned in the classroom to real-world situations, and also allows companies to potentially identify and recruit talented individuals for full-time positions after graduation.

4. How long do engineering internships typically last?

The duration of an engineering internship can vary, but they typically last anywhere from 3 months to a year. Some internships may be shorter or longer depending on the company and the nature of the work. It is important to research the specific internship program to determine the length of the program.

5. Are engineering internships paid?

Yes, many engineering internships are paid, but not all of them. Some internships may offer a stipend or a salary, while others may be unpaid. It is important to carefully review the details of the internship program to determine if it is paid or unpaid. Additionally, paid internships may offer other benefits such as housing, transportation, or professional development opportunities.