Are good scientists smart or do they study hard?

In summary: It's not something that can be easily quantified or reduced to a simple number on a test. Intelligence is multifaceted and involves a combination of cognitive abilities, emotional intelligence, creativity, and more. So while an IQ test may give some indication of a person's ability to perform well on that specific test, it is not a comprehensive measure of their intelligence. Therefore, it is not accurate to compare intelligence to computer memory or to simply quantify it with a number.
cdux
Well obviously I'm not talking about mentally challenged people, but if two people are relatively distant in pure IQ tests (given the same initial education on abstract concepts that may aid such a test), will it play any significant role after a point? Will the smarter person ever be able to compete with a person that studied hard? Or will the person that studied hard ever have a real problem competing with a smarter person that studied little?

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I can tell, someone's IQ is essentially a measure of how well someone takes an IQ test.

Why do you think the ability to take an IQ test correlates well with the ability to be a proficient scientist?

" Are good scientists smart or do they study hard? "

both,
but the individual's brain capability is very important.

"1% inspiration, 99% perspiration"

something has to be pretty true to achieve platitude status.

krash661 said:
" Are good scientists smart or do they study hard? "

both,
but the individual's brain capability is very important.

Define brain capability. How can it be measured? Can you quantify your assessment of very important?

probably both

I think good scientists mainly become good scientists through hard work, education and experience. I feel that anyone with an interest in science and the proper training can be a pretty decent scientist.

What discerns the greatest scientists, in my opinion, is that extra touch of intuition, hunch, brilliance, whatever you want to call it - these are things that cannot be learned. You either possesses it or you don't, and only a few exceptional people do.

ZombieFeynman said:
Define brain capability. How can it be measured? Can you quantify your assessment of very important?

hilarious,
well, for one
there's this thing called memory,
it's function is to store info/data.
which is a capability.

it's very important since,
everything pertains to human function is derived from the brain.

dictionary
brain [brayn]
n (plural brains)
1. organ of thought and feeling: ...
...is the center of thought
3. mind: somebody's intellectual ability
4. intelligence: somebody's natural intelligence

ca·pa·bil·i·ty

ca·pa·bil·i·ty [kàypə bíllətee]
(plural ca·pa·bil·i·ties)
1. natural ability: the power or practical ability necessary for doing something
2. range of ability: the potential ability of somebody or something to do something
3. comput function: a facility to carry out a particular set of operations

in·tel·li·gence

in·tel·li·gence [in téllijənss]
(plural in·tel·li·genc·es)
1. ability to think and learn: the ability to learn facts and skills and apply them, especially when this ability is highly developed
5. intelligent spirit: an entity capable of rational thought, especially one that does not have a physical form

" What is a Human's Cognitive Capability? "
http://ergonomics.about.com/od/ergonomicbasics/f/What-Is-a-Human-Cognitive-Capability.htm

" A component of Human Factors is a human’s cognitive capability. This is not just how smart people are but also how the brain works, how information is understood, how it is processed and how it is recalled. Cognition refers to higher level brain functions such as perception, planning, problem solving and using language. "

edit-

there's also this wikki page,
Human brain
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_brain

That was a pretty pedantic post, krash 661, and you still didn't quantify anything. Lot's of qualifying though.

Pythagorean said:
That was a pretty pedantic post, krash 661, and you still didn't quantify anything. Lot's of qualifying though.

dictionary,
quantify
quan·ti·fy
quan·ti·fy [kwóntə f]
(past and past participle quan·ti·fied, present participle quan·ti·fy·ing, 3rd person present singular quan·ti·fies)
1. determine number or extent of something: to calculate or express the number, degree, or amount of something
2. show range of reference of something: to use a quantifier to limit the range of individuals or items referred to in a sentence or proposition

qualify
qual·i·fy

qual·i·fy [kwóllə f]
(past and past participle qual·i·fied, present participle qual·i·fy·ing, 3rd person present singular qual·i·fies)
1. vti be or make somebody suitable: to have a skill or attribute necessary for an activity, or give somebody such a skill or attribute
2. vti have or give somebody eligibility: to become legally eligible for a position or privilege, or make somebody legally eligible
At 65 he automatically qualifies for a pension.
3. vt modify something: to modify or limit something in meaning, scope, or strength
4. vt moderate something: to make something less strong or extreme
5. vt describe something as something: to attribute a quality or characteristic to something
6. vt grammar modify meaning of word: to modify or restrict the meaning of a word
7. vi win first round of competition: to complete the preliminary part of a competition successfully and earn the right to go on to the next stage

" Can you quantify your assessment of very important? ",

" it's very important since,
everything pertains to human function is derived from the brain. ",

it's kind of that simple.

Last edited:
Pythagorean said:

Nothing in his initial post required "quantifying". I'm guessing his second post was partially in jest because of ZombieFeynman's silly response. You and ZombieFeynman both come off as attempting to sound intelligent but your responses make no sense. I'm not sure what you don't understand about Krash's post but, I assure you, there is no "quantifying" necessary to understand his point.

Rick21383 said:
Nothing in his initial post required "quantifying". I'm guessing his second post was partially in jest because of ZombieFeynman's silly response. You and ZombieFeynman both come off as attempting to sound intelligent but your responses make no sense. I'm not sure what you don't understand about Krash's post but, I assure you, there is no "quantifying" necessary to understand his point.

i appreciate this.

but if Pythagorean wants a number than
infinity will fit.

I think the point that's been missed is that human intelligence is an incredibly nuanced subject and the analogy to computer memory is misplaced.

Pythagorean said:
I think the point that's been missed is that human intelligence is an incredibly nuanced subject and the analogy to computer memory is misplaced.

for you to have all that neuroscience on your profile,
it's odd that you would make comment's like this.
weird.

can i ask why you say " computer memory "
i never said anything about a computer.
but is it not obvious how similar a computer's memory or/and processor is to the human brain ?

"data being stored" is more about computer memory than any of the types of human memory.

Computer and brains have some similarities, but the analogy gets carried too far because the nuances make people blind.

Closed, pending moderation.

Zz.

1. Are good scientists naturally smart or do they have to study hard to become successful?

This is a commonly debated question among scientists. While intelligence and natural ability may give someone a head start in their scientific career, it is ultimately hard work and dedication that lead to success. Even the most naturally gifted scientists have to put in hours of study and research to make groundbreaking discoveries.

2. Is it possible to become a good scientist without being naturally gifted in a particular subject?

Yes, it is possible. While having a natural aptitude for a subject can be helpful, it is not a requirement for becoming a successful scientist. With determination and hard work, anyone can develop the necessary skills and knowledge to excel in their field of study.

3. Can anyone become a good scientist with enough studying and practice?

While studying and practicing are crucial components of becoming a good scientist, there are other important qualities that cannot be learned. Curiosity, critical thinking, and creativity are just a few examples of traits that are essential for success in the scientific world.

4. Are there different types of intelligence that make a good scientist?

Yes, there are various types of intelligence that can contribute to being a good scientist. While traditional academic intelligence may be important for understanding complex concepts, emotional intelligence, communication skills, and problem-solving abilities are also crucial for success in the scientific field.

5. Is it possible to balance intelligence and hard work as a scientist?

Absolutely. In fact, a combination of both is necessary for success. While intelligence can give someone a strong foundation for understanding scientific concepts, it is hard work and dedication that allow them to apply that knowledge and make significant contributions to their field of study.