Are ISFETS available for cheap or am I out of luck

In summary, the individual was interested in measuring the pH levels of a nearby lake and wanted to use the ISFET transistor in their experiment. However, they were unable to find anywhere to purchase the ISFET and instead found premade pH measuring tools that were more expensive. They wondered if ISFETs were new technology and why they were difficult to find. Another person suggested using glass pH probes instead, as they are cheaper and only require a high internal resistance voltmeter. The original individual expressed disappointment in not being able to work with the ISFET, but was given advice to try them if given the opportunity. It was also mentioned that ISFETs are hard to find due to their specialized nature and early models being
Boltzman Oscillation
TL;DR Summary
I want to buy a lone ISFET but I cannot find any online.
I was looking into measuring the ph levels of a lake nearby where I live. I wanted to tie the experiment to my electronics coursework so I did some reasearch and found the wonder electronic that is the ISFET. Unfortunately, I cannot find anywhere to buy an ISFET transistor; I can easily find premade ph measuring tools that use an ISFET but they go for around $300. Are ISFETS new technology or am I looking at the wrong places?

Engineering news on Phys.org
They are not that new, no idea why they are difficult to buy - perhaps they are way too specialized. Not that I ever tried to buy them, but I haven't seen them either and I do search for strange sensors now and them.

I would go the glass pH probe way, they are cheaper and basically all they need is a high internal resistance voltmeter.

Likes Tom.G
Borek said:
They are not that new, no idea why they are difficult to buy - perhaps they are way too specialized. Not that I ever tried to buy them, but I haven't seen them either and I do search for strange sensors now and them.

I would go the glass pH probe way, they are cheaper and basically all they need is a high internal resistance voltmeter.
Sigh, I was just excited to work with this different type of transistor than what I am used to. Thanks for the advice.

Given a cheap chance to try them I would not hesitate. One doesn't get called Mr. pH for nothing :wink:

Borek said:
Given a cheap chance to try them I would not hesitate. One doesn't get called Mr. pH for nothing :wink:
I'm not called Mr. PH

But I am ;)

Borek said:
But I am ;)
:O

1. Are ISFETS available for cheap?

Yes, ISFETS (Ion-Sensitive Field Effect Transistors) are available for relatively cheap prices compared to other types of sensors. They are commonly used in various industries and can be purchased from many electronics suppliers.

2. What is the typical cost of an ISFET sensor?

The cost of an ISFET sensor can vary depending on the brand, size, and features. However, on average, they can range from $10 to $50, making them a cost-effective option for many applications.

3. Can I find cheap ISFET sensors online?

Yes, there are many online retailers that offer ISFET sensors at affordable prices. It is important to research and compare prices from different sources to ensure you are getting the best deal.

4. Are there any disadvantages to using cheap ISFET sensors?

While cheaper ISFET sensors may not have all the advanced features of more expensive ones, they still function effectively for basic applications. It is important to carefully read the product specifications and reviews before purchasing to ensure it meets your specific needs.

5. Can I use cheap ISFET sensors for scientific research?

Yes, cheap ISFET sensors can be used for scientific research as long as they meet the necessary accuracy and sensitivity requirements. It is recommended to calibrate the sensor before use to ensure accurate results.