1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are linear dependent data normal distributed?

1. Feb 8, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Lets say we have some data which we using the method of the least squares regression can express a linear regression model.

I would like to know if this data generelly will be normal-distributed if it can be expressed by a linear regession model? and if so any way to explain the connection between normel distributed data and linear regression?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 8, 2012 #2
    Generally speaking, yes, the data is normal distributed.
    Now on the second question: I'm not sure. I have to check that out.

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, not necessarily. Non-normally-distributed data can (and very often is) described by a linear regression model. The main problem with having non-normal data is that one cannot apply standard, textbook statistical tests of significance. (However, fancier methods are available to deal with these cases.)

RGV

5. Feb 8, 2012 #4
    So the generel answer to my question is No? Data which fits a liner model by the use of the least square method doesn't have to normal distributed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook