1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Find linear dependence on these vectors

1. Oct 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Suppose V = R^4 and let U = <X>, where X = {(1,0,-2,1),(2,-2,0,3),(0,2,-4,-1),(-1,2,-2,-2)}
    Find linear dependence on X and use it to find a smaller generating set of U. Repeat the step until you reach a basis for U.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have formed a matrix of the 4 vectors in X and reduced it to echelon form. I got
    (1 | 0 | 2 | 1
    0 | 1 | -1 | -1
    0 | 0 | 0 | 0
    0 | 0 | 0 | 0)

Let's say the 4 vectors were s, t, u, v respectively.
    Then xs + xt + yu + zv = 0 is true for some constants w,x,y,z (1)

Then according to the REF form we can form two equations: w = 2y +z and x = -y+z
    I thought I could substitute these into equation (1) and end up showing one vector as a combination of the others but I am not able to reach anywhere. Where am I wrong? Is there a better method to go about this?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2012 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I would have thought that the relationship was implied by the steps to get the echelon form. I.e. in producing the null rows, you effectively executed the equation you're looking for.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook