Are My Distances Accurate in Calculating Moments at Point T?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Femme_physics
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 1K views
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Messages
2,548
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



http://img823.imageshack.us/img823/3720/thisonev.jpg

I just want to know if my horizontal distances of T when I calculate moments are correct (I need to add a certain length to 250, and reduce the same length from 250 - I believe. I only solved for that distance you need to add and reduce. I think that once I got that I can solve the question fully.

The Attempt at a Solution



Attached.
 
Attachments
  • distancecalc.jpg
    distancecalc.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 453
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Femme_physics said:
I just want to know if my horizontal distances of T when I calculate moments are correct (I need to add a certain length to 250, and reduce the same length from 250 - I believe. I only solved for that distance you need to add and reduce. I think that once I got that I can solve the question fully.

Whoah!
You've made it pretty difficult for yourself.
Those angles are pretty complex, and I don't quite understand what you did yet.

Let me give you another approach.
Suppose we look at the wheel as a separate free body.
And the rest of the system without the wheel as a second free body.

There are 2 forces T on the wheel that neutralize each others momentum, so the moment sum is zero.
The force sum can be calculated (can you do that?) and will have an angle of 45 degrees.
Note that it will make no difference how large d is.

This same force (at 45 degrees) will act on the rest of the system at point C.
From here it becomes much easier to calculate the distance to for instance A.
 
I like Serena said:
Whoah!
You've made it pretty difficult for yourself.
Those angles are pretty complex, and I don't quite understand what you did yet.

Let me give you another approach.
Suppose we look at the wheel as a separate free body.
And the rest of the system without the wheel as a second free body.

There are 2 forces T on the wheel that neutralize each others momentum, so the moment sum is zero.
The force sum can be calculated (can you do that?) and will have an angle of 45 degrees.
Note that it will make no difference how large d is.

This same force (at 45 degrees) will act on the rest of the system at point C.
From here it becomes much easier to calculate the distance to for instance A.

("it's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's ILS the homework helper!"^^)

That makes a whole lot of sense than my approach! I was, from some reason, locked on the idea that these distances must be found that I didn't think another way was even possible! Yes, I did make it complicate to myself! I'm glad you helped me see the light, that makes tons more sense! :)

I think I can get my answers now! I'll work on that. Thanks :)
 
Femme_physics said:
("it's a bird! It's a plane! No, it's ILS the homework helper!"^^)

That makes a whole lot of sense than my approach! I was, from some reason, locked on the idea that these distances must be found that I didn't think another way was even possible! Yes, I did make it complicate to myself! I'm glad you helped me see the light, that makes tons more sense! :)

I think I can get my answers now! I'll work on that. Thanks :)

Ha ha, ... Ho He ILSe, ... he he o:)