Are Physical Theories Dependent on the Extended Riemann Hypothesis?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
2025 Award
Messages
20,819
Reaction score
28,467
I just thought about the critical concepts in mathematics and physics that arose in the last century: Goedel, Schroedinger, etc.

My question is: Are there any physical theories that rely on the validity of the extended Riemann Hypothesis?

I don't mean computer science, i.e. secure communications or encryption; pure physics. As modern physics depend more and more on some very abstract concepts, e.g. Kähler manifolds, de Sitter spaces and so on I asked myself whether the ERH slipped in somewhere.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Off hand - I doubt it very much. Number theory seems to be the most affected subject, far from any physics.
 
mathman said:
Off hand - I doubt it very much. Number theory seems to be the most affected subject, far from any physics.
Yes, that has been my thoughts, too. But I've read about lattices playing a role in some models, I think in particle physics. At least a potential entry point. And a couple of days ago I've read a headline they had discovered number theoretical relations in an hydrogen atom, I think it was about π. And I cannot evaluate whether differential manifolds are completely off the hook.

These were the thoughts which made me post the question. And if so the toying with the idea that physics could contribute to a at its heart deeply mathematical problem.
 
I don't know about the Riemann hypothesis, but work on string theory certainly inspired mathematics and lead to advances there.