Are shell electrons accompanied by virtual neutrinos?

In summary: you may have to clarify what do u mean by "virtual neutrinos" in your scenario before one can make much sense of what you are hinting at.
Michael S
Hi everyone,

This is my first post. Years ago I read in a science magazine that (at least according to a certain theory) every shell electron would be accompanied by one (or was it two?) virtual neutrino(s). At least that's my recollection of what I read. I know it sounds a little crazy. I was searching for the source of this for hours, even went to a library trying to find it in a heap of magazines... To no avail. Google searches didn't help either.

Any component of the statement above other than "electron" or "neutrino" could be due to my incorrect recollection, so don't stick to the letter and use a little associative thinking if appropriate.

Thanks to anybody who can help me with this.

Michael

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the forum!

I would say it's not true, at least not in any sense that's useful. Some people like to think of empty space as populated by virtual-particle pairs, and among these would be neutrino-antineutrino pairs, but there's no sense in which an electron is "accompanied" by these specifically.

Maybe neutrino-antineutrino pairs could be prevalent in a small enough sized scale (high energy situation)?

Michael S said:
Maybe neutrino-antineutrino pairs could be prevalent in a small enough sized scale (high energy situation)?

at high energy colliders, pair productions and annihilations are common phenomena, but this is unrelated to the "virtual particle pairs" mentioned (what ever this statement initially intended to mean?!).

mjsd said:
at high energy colliders, pair productions and annihilations are common phenomena, but this is unrelated to the "virtual particle pairs" mentioned (what ever this statement initially intended to mean?!).

What I mean is this: A particle surrounds itself with a cloud of virtual particles, so I wonder if more virtual neutrino/antineutrino pairs would pop up from the ambient vacuum if the particle was highly energized (like those electrons in certain heavy atoms which reach relativistic velocities).

An electron can scatter on a Z boson, right?
A Z boson can decay into 2 neutrinos, right?

So there must exist a Feynman diagram where an electron emits a Z boson, then the boson decays into a neutrino/antineutrino loop, they merge back and then the boson is reabsorbed by the electron.

The contribution of that diagram will probably be so close to zero that it doesn't change anything.

What does it mean, an electron can scatter on a Z boson? What does this have to do with the electron emitting a Z boson? Aren't virtual particles (neutrinos, in the case at hand) just popping in and out from/into the vacuum? Thanks for bearing with me.

Michael S said:
What does it mean, an electron can scatter on a Z boson? What does this have to do with the electron emitting a Z boson? Aren't virtual particles (neutrinos, in the case at hand) just popping in and out from/into the vacuum? Thanks for bearing with me.

Z boson is the mediator for weak interactions. This is how electrons (or other leptons) can interact with neutrinos (which are otherwise neutral).

Now, why "virtual particles" are in the mix of all this discussion confuses me. The only scenario where a virtual neutrino mediator may arise here is through scattering process like e+e- to ZZ.

you may have to clarify what do u mean by "virtual neutrinos" in your scenario before one can make much sense of what you are hinting at. My guess is that you may have misread something, because so far it isn't making too much sense. Perhaps "virtual" wasn't the word.

1. What are shell electrons and virtual neutrinos?

Shell electrons are negatively charged particles that surround the nucleus of an atom and are responsible for chemical bonding and the reactivity of elements. Virtual neutrinos, on the other hand, are neutral subatomic particles that are only present as a result of certain interactions and cannot be directly observed.

2. How are shell electrons and virtual neutrinos related?

Shell electrons and virtual neutrinos are related through the weak nuclear force. This force is responsible for the decay of certain particles and is mediated by the exchange of virtual neutrinos between particles.

3. Are all shell electrons accompanied by virtual neutrinos?

No, not all shell electrons are accompanied by virtual neutrinos. The presence of virtual neutrinos depends on the specific interaction or decay process that is occurring.

4. Can virtual neutrinos be detected or measured?

No, virtual neutrinos cannot be directly detected or measured because they do not interact with particles in the same way that other subatomic particles do. However, their effects can be observed through certain decay processes.

5. Why are virtual neutrinos important in relation to shell electrons?

Virtual neutrinos are important in understanding the fundamental forces that govern the behavior of particles. They play a crucial role in the weak nuclear force, which is essential for certain nuclear reactions and the stability of atoms.