Are static models totally static?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of static models and the misconception that they do not involve any movement. The discussion also mentions different types of static models, such as steady state models and the recently published model. It is clarified that these models do allow for observations of an expanding universe and colliding galaxies. The conversation ends with an appreciation for the clarification on the definition of static models.
Lino
Hi, I appreciate the basics if static models, but I'm wondering just how static they are. I understand there is no expansion, but is there any element of evolution? (For example, colliding galaxies, collapsing dust clouds, etc.)

Regards,

Noel.

Space news on Phys.org
Static doesn't mean no movement. Everything is moving and react to gravitation and quantum effects. No big bang, no expansion, just there.

Thanks Jedisshrfu. That's what I figured, but couldn't find confirmation in any of the literature.

Regards,

Noel.

Thanks jedishrfu.

Regards,

Noel.

What static model are you referring to? There are steady state models such as Hoyles (now discredited model) and more mdoern steady sate models such as steady state eternal inflation. A new static model was pubslihsed a few months ago:
http://arxiv.org/abs/1205.5550
but I believe all of these models allow for observations of an expanding universe and galaxies colliding etc but perhaps that's now what you are referring to.

Thanks for the reply skydivephil. A lot of the arxiv items that I have read lately refer simply "static models" in various contexts. I was pretty sure that this (generally) did not mean completely unchanging ... but I could not find any clarification.

Regards,

Noel.

1. Are static models always accurate?

No, static models are not always accurate. They are simplified representations of reality and may not account for all variables and factors that could affect the system being modeled.

2. Can static models be used to make predictions?

Yes, static models can be used to make predictions about the behavior of a system. However, the accuracy of these predictions depends on the accuracy and completeness of the model.

3. How are static models different from dynamic models?

Static models are snapshots of a system at a specific point in time, while dynamic models take into account changes and interactions over time. Static models are also simpler and easier to analyze, while dynamic models are more complex and better suited for predicting future behavior.

4. Can static models be updated or changed?

Yes, static models can be updated or changed to account for new information or changes in the system being modeled. However, this may require significant effort and resources, depending on the complexity of the model.

5. What are the limitations of using static models?

The main limitation of using static models is that they may not accurately reflect the real-world system being modeled. This can lead to incorrect predictions and decisions based on the model. Additionally, static models may not be able to account for changes and interactions over time, making them less useful for long-term predictions.