Are superconductors perfect reflectors?

In summary, superconductors are better reflectors than any other surface, but they don't start to look different when they reach their transition temperature.
Tazerfish
To my current(somewhat pathetic:wink:) knowledge the reflection off metal surfaces happens because
the changing electric and magnetic fields cause "mini currents" or charge redistributions
which produce their own electromagnetic waves identical to the incoming ones or in other words the reflection.

My guess is that resistance and the fact that metals really aren't a continuous sea of charge (but more like a few electrons moving fairly freely in a crystal lattice) make the reflective abilities of metals less than perfect.

But how close do you get with a superconductor?
Maybe it was just the condensation due to the cold temperatures or a little oxidant layer or protective coating but i can't remember superconductors being particularly bright or shiny.:confused:
And if there is no fundimental misconception about that model of reflection then i would be interested to know where it breaks down.
The thought that very high gamma ray photons should be reflected off a superconductor is absurd.
So why doesn't it happen ?

Science news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic radiation does penetrate a superconductor, but is damped exponentially. The distance over which energy is lost is called the skin depth (london penetration depth). So no, they would not be perfect reflectors.

See https://cas.web.cern.ch/cas/ZEUTHEN/Zeuthen-talks/170903/Schmueser-sc_cav.pdf

Likes Tazerfish
Thanks for the answer.
I am just a 11 grade student in germany (i would be in high school in america) so i didn't understand very much of that pdf...
Consequently my question isn't completely resolved.
I changed my question a little:
Superconductors aren't perfect reflectors, but they are the better reflectors than any non-superconducting surface.
Is the statement correct now ?

In the paper you linked a formula for surface resistivity is derived from page 16 to 18.
What does that formula imply ?
Is the absorbed power per reflection proportional to the surface resistivity ?
And if the resistance of the copper pairs does not arise from interactions with the crystal lattice then where does the dissipated energy go.
And is the formula only valid in the microwave regime or does the surface resistivity keep rising to the second power of the frequency ?

Additionaly i assume that the superconductivity has little to no influence on the reflective "abilities" in the optical spectrum.
When cooling down high temperature superconductors they don't start to look different when they pass their transition temperature.
Why is that?

It might be that i am asking the wrong questions... but i am still quite confused.
I am very much in the dark concerning this topic so i would be glad about a "beginner"-friendly explanation :smile:.

1. What are superconductors?

Superconductors are materials that have the ability to conduct electricity with zero resistance. This means that they can transmit electrical current without any loss of energy.

2. How do superconductors reflect light?

Superconductors reflect light by using their unique properties to create a perfect mirror-like surface. Electrons in superconductors move in a synchronized manner, allowing them to reflect light with minimal scattering.

3. Are superconductors perfect reflectors of all types of light?

No, superconductors are not perfect reflectors of all types of light. They are most effective at reflecting low-frequency light, such as microwaves and infrared radiation. They are less effective at reflecting higher frequency light, such as visible light.

4. What are the applications of superconductors as perfect reflectors?

The ability of superconductors to reflect light with minimal loss of energy has many potential applications. These include creating more efficient solar panels, improving the performance of optical instruments, and enhancing the speed and accuracy of communication systems.

5. Are there any downsides to using superconductors as perfect reflectors?

One downside to using superconductors as perfect reflectors is their strict temperature requirements. Superconductivity only occurs at extremely low temperatures, making it difficult to use them in everyday applications. Additionally, manufacturing and handling superconductors can be expensive and challenging.