Are the Demystified Series Physics Books Reliable for Serious Students?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sam_qau
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Physics Series
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
sam_qau
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
How credible are the Demystified Series physics books by David McMahon?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
They're ok, but definitely not for the serious student of physics.
 
Hi

I have worked my way through "Relativity Demystified".
I think it's a good book in the sense that it gives you a lot of tools how to do calculations in general relativity. No computer, no calculator, just pencil and paper. And in doing all the examples and the quizzes you really get the grip on, how to calculate a Riemann-tensor or Einstein-equation.
Regarding theory I would seek other sources. e.g. Carrol (2004).

The book contains quite a lot of typos, and I have published an extensive list on my homepage
http://physicssusan.mono.net/9035/General Relativity - Relativity demystified"

Su L
 
Last edited by a moderator:
some of them are good, some of them contains TOO many errors and misprints to be valuable for a serious student. The QFT book has errors on almost every page...