1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are the following equations inversely or directly proportional to frequency?

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Re-arrange the eqation Fc=4π²mrf² to solve for frequency (f). State the relationship between frequency and (radius, mass, Fc).

2. Relevant equations
    Fc=4π²mrf²

3. The attempt at a solution

Fc=4π²mrf²
    [itex]\frac{Fc}{4π²mr}[/itex] = f²
    [itex]\sqrt{\frac{Fc}{4π²mr}}[/itex] = f

I have re-arranged the equation though now I need to know the relation between:
    •frequency vs radius (r)
    •frequency vs mass (m)
    •frequency vs Fc (Fc)

Which one is proportional and which ones are inversely proportional? (does the square root affect them)?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2
    Just forget that there was a square root sign. You'd have Fc / 4n^2 * m * r.
    The Square root does reduce the value of the expression inside, but does nothing to the relationships that you are looking for

If you brought the bottom over, then it becomes clear that Fc is directly proportional to frequency, and that everything else is inversly proportional to frequency.

4. Apr 14, 2012 #3
    Thank you very much! The square-root was getting to me :) lol.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook