Are the following equations inversely or directly proportional to frequency?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 6K views
n3w ton
Messages
19
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Re-arrange the equation Fc=4π²mrf² to solve for frequency (f). State the relationship between frequency and (radius, mass, Fc).


Homework Equations


Fc=4π²mrf²


The Attempt at a Solution



Fc=4π²mrf²
[itex]\frac{Fc}{4π²mr}[/itex] = f²
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{Fc}{4π²mr}}[/itex] = f

I have re-arranged the equation though now I need to know the relation between:
•frequency vs radius (r)
•frequency vs mass (m)
•frequency vs Fc (Fc)

Which one is proportional and which ones are inversely proportional? (does the square root affect them)?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\sqrt{\frac{Fc}{4π²mr}}[/itex] = f

Just forget that there was a square root sign. You'd have Fc / 4n^2 * m * r.
The Square root does reduce the value of the expression inside, but does nothing to the relationships that you are looking for

I have re-arranged the equation though now I need to know the relation between:
•frequency vs radius (r)
•frequency vs mass (m)
•frequency vs Fc (Fc)

If you brought the bottom over, then it becomes clear that Fc is directly proportional to frequency, and that everything else is inversly proportional to frequency.
 
Thank you very much! The square-root was getting to me :) lol.