1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Angular frequency of electron in an electric field

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    An electron is constrained to the central axis of the ring of charge of radius R , Show that the electrostatic force exerted on the electron can cause it to oscillate through the center of the ring with an angular frequency

ω = [itex]\sqrt{\frac{eq}{4π\epsilon_{0}mR^{3}}}[/itex]

where q is the ring's charge and m is electron's mass.
    2. Relevant equations

Electric field at the axis due to a ring of charge q,
    E = [itex]\frac{qz}{4π\epsilon_{0}(z^{2}+R^{2})^{3/2}}[/itex]

where is the distance from the center of the ring

3. The attempt at a solution

Given E, F = qE
    [itex]\Rightarrow[/itex] a = F/m
    This isn't simply SHM so
    ω ≠ [itex]\sqrt{k/m}[/itex]
    So that wouldn't work
    Then I thought if i could find x(t) , I could easily find the time period
    So, x(t) = x(t+T)
    But a(x) = [itex]\frac{eqz}{4πm\epsilon_{0}(z^{2}+R^{2})^{3/2}}[/itex]
    I couldn't derive anything using the equations of motion , or simple calculus.
    So I need some help, not the whole solution but possibly some hints or pointers...
    Help...

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2
    Take out R from the denominator . Then binomially expand the expression.The condition for small oscillation is z<<R .

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  4. Apr 17, 2014 #3

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hint: it's a very low order expansion ...

5. Apr 17, 2014 #4

Oh ! I just didn't see that , thank you.
    But what if instead of the electron we take a spherical charged body and where z is not very small

6. Apr 17, 2014 #5
    I do not know .May be rude man has the answer .

But if I have to make a guess ,then if the spherical body is uniformly charged ,then we may replace it with a point like particle of equivalent charge.

Well ,then you will not be able to apply the approximation and the motion will not be simple harmonic.

7. Apr 17, 2014 #6

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wouldn't want to tackle the case of a finite-size sphere. I wonder about polarization effects, i.e. asymmetric surface charges since the E field is not uniform over the sphere.

And right, if it's still a point mass but z is not << R then you wind up with a nonlinear diff. eq. which again I would not want to tackle.

8. Apr 17, 2014 #7
    @Tanya and @rude man
    I said spherical charged body , so that unlike an electron it is not very small (point size) , okay instead now consider a point charge with charge q' and z is not very small , now what.

I am thinking of making a c++ simulation with unit constants for having a better idea to see what answer it might give

9. Apr 17, 2014 #8

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As tanya and I said, with a point charge but z not << R you get a nonlinear differential equation which is very difficult to solve in closed form. But you will still get oscillations, only they aren't SHM and the z(t) waveform vs. t will look like a horrible distorted sine wave. This is somewhat like a simple pendulum oscillating with a large angle, say pi/4.

Go ahead and simulate - that is a great idea! Use various z/R, starting with z << R and building up.

10. Apr 17, 2014 #9
    Okay , thanks for your time and help , :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted