Are the Radii R1 and R2 of a Lens Always the Same?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
logearav
Messages
329
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A lens is a transparent refracting medium bounded by two spherical surfaces.R1 and R2 are radii of two surfaces.

Homework Equations



Will the Radii R1 and R2 will be same or different ?

The Attempt at a Solution


I hope that they are same, otherwise there won't be symmetry. Still doubts lingers. Revered members can help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I hope that they are same, otherwise there won't be symmetry.
Why would you see symmetry as being important, in a lens? How could you go about determining what would be the effect if the radii were not identical?
 
Ok, symmetry is not important. Agreed. So, radii of two spherical surfaces that constitute a lens can be different. Am I right?