Are the Sets {r, -r, 0} and {-r, r, 0} Identical?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rijad Hadzic
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
Rijad Hadzic
Messages
321
Reaction score
20

Homework Statement


Is the set (r,-r,0) the same as the set (-r,r,0)

Sorry I need to know the answer to this right now, somebody in class confused me and I can't talk to my teacher right now.

My answer: yes it is the same set. Can anyone just give me a quick yes/no?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
I have to brake for a car in front of me, so I can't answer 'it depends' right now ! :rolleyes:

good luck with your test !
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 587159
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement


Is the set (r,-r,0) the same as the set (-r,r,0)

Sorry I need to know the answer to this right now, somebody in class confused me and I can't talk to my teacher right now.

My answer: yes it is the same set. Can anyone just give me a quick yes/no?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Yes, as sets they are the same. Order doesn't matter here.
 
I wasn't really in a car, but safely behind my desktop. Just didn't want to interfere in a testing situation :rolleyes:

If the order of elements in a set matters, we call it a sequence. (You need a sequence of instructions when asking directions; with a set you wouldn't know what to do first)

A set is a collection. Two collections are the same if they contain the same elements. Yours do
 
Rijad Hadzic said:

Homework Statement


Is the set (r,-r,0) the same as the set (-r,r,0)

Sorry I need to know the answer to this right now, somebody in class confused me and I can't talk to my teacher right now.

My answer: yes it is the same set. Can anyone just give me a quick yes/no?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


Your notation is poor: in Mathematics, we almost always denote sets using curly brackets, like this: ##\{ r, -r,0 \}##, and in that case, order does not matter: ##\{ r,-r,0 \} = \{ r,-r,0 \} = \{ r,0,-r \} = \{ -r,0,r \} = \{ 0,r,-r \} = \{ 0,-r,r \}. ## Other types of brackets like ( , ) , [ , ] or < , > denote objects like lists, vectors, arrays, sequences, etc., and for all of them order is crucial.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: FactChecker