Are the Universe and Observable Universe Identical?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter ObjectivelyRational
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Universe
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
32 replies · 4K views
Then they should understand that on PHYSICSforums "Universe" has a precise meaning and they should use this word with that meaning.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I don't think even all cosmologists would agree with you. In particular, for those working with either multiverses or quantum-foam bubbles (followed by inflation), they seem to find it helpful to distinguish "everything" from "everything that shares our BB", with the latter being the "universe" and the former being "other universes" that do not, or have not so far, interacted with ours.

Not my usage, but I understand why they might find it useful.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Stavros Kiri
JMz said:
I don't think even all cosmologists would agree with you. In particular, for those working with either multiverses or quantum-foam bubbles (followed by inflation), they seem to find it helpful to distinguish "everything" from "everything that shares our BB", with the latter being the "universe" and the former being "other universes" that do not, or have not so far, interacted with ours.

Not my usage, but I understand why they might find it useful.
Thus we may re-ask the initial question(s) within the Standard Model of Cosmology ...
Some answers will still hold, some will not ...