Are there any elements found in space but not at all on Earth?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
10 replies · 5K views
zuz
Messages
100
Reaction score
36
TL;DR
Are there any elements found in space but not at all on Earth?
Are there any elements found in space but not on Earth?
 
Earth sciences news on Phys.org
I don't know, but give me five minutes on the Internet and I'll bet I could find out!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn and Vanadium 50
What are you waiting for? I looked for about fifteen minutes and found nothing.
 
search for 'transuranic elements in spectra of type A stars' and you will get some information. What I got was outside of my understanding comfort zone -- e.g., 'process -r' -- so you can play with it on your own. My possbily wrong take: the largest stars undergo nucleosynthesis.
 
Nanodiamond. It can only be synthetically produced on earth. I do believe (:
 
zuz said:
What are you waiting for? I looked for about fifteen minutes and found nothing.
30 seconds later:

In total, 118 elements have been identified. The first 94 occur naturally on Earth, and the remaining 24 are synthetic elements.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Vanadium 50
@PeroK Correct me please, but I think the OP wanted elements found in other star systems which precludes synthesis by humans on earth. And synthetic elements definitely are not found naturally occurring on Earth, I'm sure of that. So, yes on that part.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dragrath and ETsmyhomeboy
jim mcnamara said:
@PeroK Correct me please, but I think the OP wanted elements found in other star systems which precludes synthesis by humans on earth. And synthetic elements definitely are not found naturally occurring on Earth, I'm sure of that. So, yes on that part.
As far as my 30 seconds research goes, all naturally occurring elements are found on Earth. There are no elements that cannot be found on Earth.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: davenn
Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Now, knowing this...the universe is a big place, and it's been around a long time. How is it that we have every possible element that was ever created here on Earth? I'm not suggesting you're wrong. It just seems a little coincidental. Could dark matter be some "new" element. I'm just throwing ideas around.
 
  • Skeptical
Likes   Reactions: davenn
@zuz Please - no 'throwing ideas around' that gets into speculation. PF is about known Science, as in textbooks and journals. The general discussion forum here is more flexible for that. Thread closed.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Dragrath and davenn