Are there any elements found in space but not at all on Earth?

• Thread starter zuz
  • Start date
zuz

Summary:

Are there any elements found in space but not at all on Earth?

Main Question or Discussion Point

Are there any elements found in space but not on Earth?

Answers and Replies

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I don't know, but give me five minutes on the Internet and I'll bet I could find out!

Likes davenn and Vanadium 50
zuz
What are you waiting for? I looked for about fifteen minutes and found nothing.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
search for 'transuranic elements in spectra of type A stars' and you will get some information. What I got was outside of my understanding comfort zone -- e.g., 'process -r' -- so you can play with it on your own. My possbily wrong take: the largest stars undergo nucleosynthesis.

Nanodiamond. It can only be synthetically produced on earth. I do believe (:

PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
What are you waiting for? I looked for about fifteen minutes and found nothing.
30 seconds later:

In total, 118 elements have been identified. The first 94 occur naturally on Earth, and the remaining 24 are synthetic elements.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
No.
@ETsmyhomeboy - nanodiamonds are carbon. Carbon is an element found on Earth. You and I have carbon atoms in us.

jim mcnamara
Mentor
@PeroK Correct me please, but I think the OP wanted elements found in other star systems which precludes synthesis by humans on earth. And synthetic elements definitely are not found naturally occurring on Earth, I'm sure of that. So, yes on that part.

Likes Dragrath and ETsmyhomeboy
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
@PeroK Correct me please, but I think the OP wanted elements found in other star systems which precludes synthesis by humans on earth. And synthetic elements definitely are not found naturally occurring on Earth, I'm sure of that. So, yes on that part.
As far as my 30 seconds research goes, all naturally occurring elements are found on Earth. There are no elements that cannot be found on Earth.

Likes davenn
zuz
Thank you. That is what I wanted to know. Now, knowing this...the universe is a big place, and it's been around a long time. How is it that we have every possible element that was ever created here on Earth? I'm not suggesting you're wrong. It just seems a little coincidental. Could dark matter be some "new" element. I'm just throwing ideas around.

• Skeptical
Likes davenn
jim mcnamara
Mentor
@zuz Please - no 'throwing ideas around' that gets into speculation. PF is about known Science, as in textbooks and journals. The general discussion forum here is more flexible for that. Thread closed.

Likes Dragrath and davenn