Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

1. Jan 28, 2014 #1
    Are there any material that contact with water and expand? I can think of sodium polyacrylate, but I can't use it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 28, 2014 #2
    Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I dont know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.

4. Jan 28, 2014 #3
    I think the soggy jelly that you mention is SAP(Super absorbent polymer) which is sodium polyacrylate that I mention, but I can't use it. Basically I need a material that significantly increase in volume when hydrate or being stimulate. Thanks.

5. Jan 28, 2014 #4
    I'm guessing there are safety issues with SAP. How about dehydrated foodstuffs? If powdered these can probably rehydrate in a short time.

6. Jan 28, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Starch.

7. Jan 28, 2014 #6

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are these polysaccharide powders used for gel permeation chromatography (separation on a molar mass basis) sold under the name Sephadex, they swell 10 or more times in volume on adding water.

8. Jan 28, 2014 #7
    Thanks for every answers.

9. Jan 29, 2014 #8

DrDu

Science Advisor

Gypsum

10. Jan 29, 2014 #9
    Polyacrylamide and bentonite clays (sodium bentonite in particular). They are pretty swell :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted