Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

1. Are there any material that contact with water and expand? I can think of sodium polyacrylate, but I can't use it. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Dadface

Dadface 2,083
    Gold Member

Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I dont know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.

4. I think the soggy jelly that you mention is SAP(Super absorbent polymer) which is sodium polyacrylate that I mention, but I can't use it. Basically I need a material that significantly increase in volume when hydrate or being stimulate. Thanks.

5. Dadface

Dadface 2,083
    Gold Member

I'm guessing there are safety issues with SAP. How about dehydrated foodstuffs? If powdered these can probably rehydrate in a short time.

6. Borek

Staff: Mentor

Starch.

7. epenguin

epenguin 2,279
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

There are these polysaccharide powders used for gel permeation chromatography (separation on a molar mass basis) sold under the name Sephadex, they swell 10 or more times in volume on adding water.

8. Thanks for every answers.

9. DrDu

DrDu 4,340
    Science Advisor

Gypsum

10. Polyacrylamide and bentonite clays (sodium bentonite in particular). They are pretty swell :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share a link to this question via email, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?

Draft saved Draft deleted