Are there any material that contact with water and expand?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 18K views
kevin_tee
Messages
80
Reaction score
2
Are there any material that contact with water and expand? I can think of sodium polyacrylate, but I can't use it. Thanks.
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I don't know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.
 
Dadface said:
Anything that's been dehydrated comes to mind such as dried peas. Just thought of something else but I don't know what its called. It comes in powder form and when water is added it expands to a soggy jelly. You can add it to the soil in plant pots to maintain the moisture level.Try your local plant nursery. I guess there are loads of other things.

I think the soggy jelly that you mention is SAP(Super absorbent polymer) which is sodium polyacrylate that I mention, but I can't use it. Basically I need a material that significantly increase in volume when hydrate or being stimulate. Thanks.
 
I'm guessing there are safety issues with SAP. How about dehydrated foodstuffs? If powdered these can probably rehydrate in a short time.
 
There are these polysaccharide powders used for gel permeation chromatography (separation on a molar mass basis) sold under the name Sephadex, they swell 10 or more times in volume on adding water.
 
Polyacrylamide and bentonite clays (sodium bentonite in particular). They are pretty swell :)