Dissolving Particles in Oil (but Water resistant)

In summary, the goal of the project is to find a particle that is able to dissolve in oil but is unaffected by water. The particle must be small enough so that it does not penetrate the holes on the surface, and it must be resistant to water.
DolanStyle
TL;DR Summary
Looking for particles that are dissolvable in a droplet of water but are unaffected by water.
Hello Everybody,

I have a superoleophobic surfaces which shows high contact angle for Water, Oil, Hexadecane...

I am looking for a kind of particles which are attached to the surface and once I touch them with a droplet of oil are dissolving in that oil droplet. If I then remove the droplet, the particle is gone. When I do the same with a droplet of water I want the particle to remain attached to the surface.

This particle should mimic some kind of dirt and I want to be able to clean the surface with dipping an oil droplet on it and then removing it.

My surface has holes with a diameter of 200nm, so the particles should not penetrate these holes.
When using dust or sand I am able to clean the surface with Oil and Water by letting the dirt stick to the droplet surface. However I want to clean the surface by dissolving the particle in the oil.

Every support is greatly appreciated.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
DolanStyle said:
TL;DR Summary: Looking for particles that are dissolvable in a droplet of water but are unaffected by water.
Do you mean dissolvable in a droplet of oil?

What size particle?

If you're looking for a solid that dissolves easily in oil but not water, wax comes to mind as something cheap to try.

Likes DolanStyle
Thanks for your reply. Yes dissolvable in a droplet of oil.

Particle size should be bigger than 200nm.

I will try wax today thanks.

I tried different types of wax but they only dissolve when increasing the temperature but I am working at room temperature. I also am not able to find a solution through google. Is it a difficutl topic within chemistry to dissolve some solid in one oil droplet?

I am a mechanical Engineer so I am not so familiar with chemistry :(

Why do you need it dissolved? You also specify the goal as 'This particle should mimic some kind of dirt and I want to be able to clean the surface with dipping an oil droplet on it and then removing it.' which does not includes requirements for solubility, and I think sticking with only that may make things easier.

I'm not sure what oil you're using. They aren't all equal. That said, most oils are made up of long chain hydrocarbons and have similar solvent properties to shorter chain hydrocarbons. So waxes will probably dissolve in them given enough time. Other things to try are species that easily dissolve in hexanes or toluene. Things like naphthalene, or even animal fat, butter, or cholesterol.

Rive said:
Why do you need it dissolved?
I am looking for something that can be cleaned when using oil but not water. Most of the substances I tried are also cleanable with water.

TeethWhitener said:
I'm not sure what oil you're using.
I am flexible regarding the type of oil I`m using. Thanks for your suggestions. I will try

Since you have not put any restrictions on either the type of particles or the oil, note that many sticky adhesives (as on sticky tape) are soluble in vegetable oil.

Works great for removing the residue left on a surface by old tape.

• Informative
Likes russ_watters, BillTre and DolanStyle
A similar problem is removing dirt from hands with hydrocarbon based residues. I believe it is "Lanolin"-based hand wash that is used to dissolve this when water does not. But scrubbing is necessary.

This is unlikely useful for you, but may lead you to think of Hydrocarbon-based contaminants like grease, asphalt, printer’s ink or petroleum products.

DolanStyle said:
I tried different types of wax but they only dissolve when increasing the temperature but I am working at room temperature. I also am not able to find a solution through google. Is it a difficutl topic within chemistry to dissolve some solid in one oil droplet?

I am a mechanical Engineer so I am not so familiar with chemistry :(
Description seems like wax emulsion. Unsure - dispersed uniformly in oil?

DolanStyle said:
I am looking for something that can be cleaned when using oil but not water. Most of the substances I tried are also cleanable with water.
Paste wax? The finished wax after applied on the surface to be coated should be resistant to water.

coconut oil melts at skin temperature.

1. How do you dissolve particles in oil while still making it water resistant?

There are a few methods for achieving this. One option is to use surfactants, which are molecules that can attract both oil and water. These surfactants can help to disperse the particles in the oil while also creating a barrier to prevent water from mixing in. Another method is to use emulsifiers, which can help to create a stable mixture of oil and water while still allowing the particles to dissolve in the oil.

2. What types of particles can be dissolved in oil while maintaining water resistance?

Generally, any particles that are hydrophobic (water-repelling) can be dissolved in oil while still maintaining water resistance. This includes substances like waxes, oils, and certain polymers. However, it is important to note that the size and shape of the particles can also play a role in their ability to dissolve in oil and remain water resistant.

3. How do you determine the appropriate ratio of particles to oil for optimal dissolution and water resistance?

The appropriate ratio will depend on the specific particles and oil being used, as well as the desired properties of the final product. It is important to conduct experiments and test different ratios to determine the most effective combination. Factors to consider include the size and shape of the particles, the type of oil, and the intended use of the final product.

4. Are there any potential risks or drawbacks to dissolving particles in oil while maintaining water resistance?

One potential risk is that the particles may not fully dissolve in the oil, leading to a less effective water-resistant product. Additionally, some particles may have negative effects on the environment if they are not properly disposed of. It is important to carefully consider the type of particles being used and their potential impact.

5. Can the process of dissolving particles in oil while maintaining water resistance be scaled up for industrial use?

Yes, this process can be scaled up for industrial use. However, it is important to carefully consider the materials and methods used, as well as any potential environmental impacts. It may also be necessary to adjust the process for larger quantities and different equipment. Consulting with a chemical engineer or other experts can help to ensure a successful and sustainable industrial process.