1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are there any research opportunities in fluid dynamics?

1. Apr 15, 2007 #1
    I am very interested in fluid dynamics. Are there any research opportunities in fluid dynamics? And what should I major in undergrad? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 15, 2007 #2
    When I was grad-school shopping, I learned about a field called limnology; it's the study of lakes. Fluid flow is very important here, so you'd learn a lot of fluid dynamics. If you want to study fluid dynamics, chemical engineering might be a good major. You could major in physics and take fluid dynamics as an elective (there are physics courses in fluid dynamics, but they generally aren't required courses).

If you like fluid dynamics, you might also consider space plasma physics. Plasma physicists treat space plasmas as fluids for the purposes of mathematical description. But there's a twist that makes it even more fun: the fluids are magnetic. Central to space physics are the magnetohydrodynamic equations, which take plasmas' fluid and magnetic properties into account. You might want to check it out.

4. Apr 17, 2007 #3
    wilsonchan, from your name, i guess you are a chinese, right?
    are u living in the US or china or hong kong?

5. Apr 18, 2007 #4

J77

Oil.

Geothermal reservoir modelling -- stick it into google.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?