Are there physicists that study time travel

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a profession in physics that focuses on time travel, but it is implied that such a field does not currently exist. There are also mentions of a few individuals who have studied time travel, but their work is not considered to be serious. The conversation also touches on the concept of time and its complexities, and suggests that philosophy may be a better avenue for exploring these questions.
jweie29nh
I wonder if there is a profession in physics where physicists study time travel. If not, are there any research fields that correlate towards the study of time travel. I'm just curious.

Physics news on Phys.org
Essentially, no. There are a few professors who look at titbits into the subject, but that's because they can think about whatever they choose.

There were/will be some, but I traveled back in time and made their first physics exposure traumatic so they wouldn't go into the field.

Any one who mocks my sense of humor, will have their great grandmother setup with some one other than their great grandfather.

Iforgot said:
There were/will be some, but I traveled back in time and made their first physics exposure traumatic so they wouldn't go into the field.
wise choice.

Ha! His efforts are laughable! I didn't even bother to bother to re-arrange his ancestors.

If he helps, I didn't learn about him via time-travel/physics journals or anything like that.
I think it was like a cracked magazine list or something...
Yeah. Probably wouldn't touch it with a stick.

Backwards time would be a little bit like having negative space, that is space where you can travel a negative magnitude of distance. Basically I'm saying time travel is a bit of a paradox isn't it?

I bring this up because your question really begs the question "what exactly is time?" and most answers physics will give you may not really be satisfying. If it's these types of fundamental questions that interest you I'd seriously suggest looking into philosophy (particularly metaphysics) over physics.

1. What is time travel and how does it work?

Time travel is a hypothetical concept that suggests the possibility of moving between different points in time. The idea is based on the theory of relativity, which states that time is relative and can be manipulated under certain conditions. There are different theories on how time travel could work, such as using wormholes or manipulating space-time through advanced technology.

2. Is time travel possible?

While time travel is a popular topic in science fiction, it is currently not scientifically proven to be possible. The laws of physics, specifically the laws of causality, make it difficult to imagine a scenario where time travel could occur. However, some scientists continue to explore the concept and theories on how it could potentially be achieved.

3. Are there physicists actively studying time travel?

Yes, there are physicists who are actively researching and studying the concept of time travel. They are exploring different theoretical frameworks and conducting experiments to better understand the possibility and implications of time travel.

4. Can we travel to the past or only to the future?

Many theories on time travel suggest that it may only be possible to travel to the future, not to the past. According to the theory of relativity, traveling at high speeds or in the presence of intense gravitational fields can slow down time, allowing travelers to experience time at a different rate. However, traveling back in time would require a violation of causality, which is currently not possible.

5. Are there any ethical concerns with time travel?

The idea of time travel raises many ethical concerns, such as altering the past and potentially changing the course of history. It also brings up questions about the consequences of changing the future, and the potential for paradoxes. These ethical concerns are important to consider in any discussion of time travel and its potential implications.