1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Programs Are these online master's degrees any good?

1. Nov 4, 2016 #1
    For personal reasons, I am moving to an area where there are not any larger universities that offer Master's and PhD programs, and I am also not 100% sure I want to currently pursue a PhD or not. One route that I am thinking of taking, though, is to find a job in order to see what industry is like but to pursue an online Master's degree (or two) while I am working, in order to keep myself sharp and to further my career, as well as to make myself hopefully a more desirable candidate if I decide to apply for PhD programs in a few years if I decide I prefer academia to industry. A few of the online Master's programs I have found are:
    -Astrophysics (MSc) from Liverpool John Moores: https://www.ljmu.ac.uk/study/courses/postgraduates/astrophysics-msc
    -Applied Mathematics Master's from University of Washington: https://www.appliedmathonline.uw.edu/
    -Research Master in Science from Monash https://www.study.monash/courses/find-a-course/2017/science-2700?international=true (I haven't been able to find as much information about this program as the other two, so if you have any experience or further information about this program, I would love to know!)

Does anyone have any experience with these programs and are they any good? Does anyone have any suggestions for other ones they have experience with or know to be good? Thank you for any suggestions and/or advice!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2016 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In my experience, online masters will be regarded with a lot of skepticism and might be dismissed outright.

4. Nov 5, 2016 #3

MarneMath

Education Advisor

In response to micromass' comment, that may be true if the degree says Online(or distance on it) , but in my experience online degrees from schools with traditional brick and mortar campuses do not state if the degree was done online or not. I recently found out that one of my employees obtained their Masters from Georgia Tech online. I never assumed that this was the case.

As for the OP's original question. Honestly, besides Georgia Tech, Penn State, and SMU, I haven't dealt with many individuals who have done online masters. From my interviews, the quality of the applicants is no better or worse than people who did their degree in a traditional brick and mortar environment. So i'm not inherently bias. I would advise you to actually contact the departments that run these programs and find their post graduation data. It's important to see how well students place upon completion of the degree and how relevant their placements are to their field of study. If a school is unwilling or unable to give this information out, I would be mildly concerned.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted