1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Choosing a Master's degree in Physics

1. Nov 23, 2016 #1
    I am a physics student from Spain and hopefully I will be finishing my degree in physics (4y) by next June.

I am trying to decide on a Master's program to study but I am finding very difficult to decide since there are so many oportunities and so diverse specially when looking for programs abroad.

I consider myself a good student. I will be finishing my degree with an average close to 9.0/10 and I am also persuing a degree in mathematics on the side. I would prefer to study abroad since I belive it will be a great experience plus masters programs in my unviersity aren't that good, I could go to Madrid or Barcelona but I don't want to limit my possibilities. I have always had some fascination with nordic countries but I don't really have any preference in terms of country, just one where people understand english.

My interests in physics are very theoretical but recently I have been developing an interest in experimental physics too since in my last year I have started to use some real research equipment and laboratories which have nothing to do with what I had used before. I had originally considered quantum computation but I like quantum physics in general, condensed matter physics etc. I would love to do a phd afterwards and work on a research instution doing some mix of theoretical and experimental work, I had always some kind of conditioning towards theoretical physics since my math background and good averages but I have realised I love the lab so I wouldn't want to give that up (:

I don't know where to start my search so I would appreaciate sugggestions, specially somewhere where I could apply for a scholarship and have a reasonably chance of getting it.

Thanks everyone for your help, I hope I have explained myself clearly.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2016 #2
    hello there. From all that you said above, I think you should have a look at the site of the university in Jyväskylä, Finland.
    My teachers who work on theoretical Physics do suggest it :)

https://www.jyu.fi/fysiikka/en/studies

4. Nov 25, 2016 #3

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

What a coincidence, I actually did my physics master's degree in Jyväskylä. They're currently accepting applications for the Nuclear and Particle Physics Master's program. Here's an introductory video about it:

5. Nov 25, 2016 #4
    so is it as good as it is thought to be?
    what kind of topics do they focus on and what courses are taught?

6. Nov 25, 2016 #5

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is quite good in international rankings. There's a national center of excellence in nuclear and accelerator physics in there, and also a Nanoscience Center where they do research on materials science related to nanotechnological applications. So there's a good amount of advanced nanotech and nuclear physics courses available there. Unless you find the idea of living in a small town of less than 100000 people unpleasant, I can recommend it.

7. Nov 25, 2016 #6
    sounds very interesting! Thanks for sharing the info with us.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted