1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Are these the best tests for convergence of the following series?

1. Feb 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    (a) [tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\Bigg(\frac{(-1)^{n}}{n^{1 + \frac{1}{n}}}\Bigg)[/tex]
    (b) [tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\Bigg(\frac{e^{\frac{1}{n}}}{n^{2}}\Bigg)[/tex]
    (c) [tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\Bigg(\frac{(-1)^{n}n!}{n^{n}}\Bigg)[/tex]
    (d) [tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\Bigg(\frac{1}{n^{1 + \frac{1}{n}}}\Bigg)[/tex]
    (e) [tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\Bigg(\frac{ln(x)}{n^{\frac{3}{2}}}\Bigg)[/tex]
    (f) [tex]\displaystyle{\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\Bigg(1 - e^{\frac{-1}{n}}\Bigg)[/tex]

2. Relevant equations
    The test that we have messed with are:
    Telescoping, Geometric, P-Series, Ratio, Root, Simple Comparison, Limit Comparison, Absolute Convergence, Alternating Series, Dirichlet, Integral, Gauss

3. The attempt at a solution

First, I got they all converge:

(a) (d)
    I worked 'd' first. I did a limit comparison test with 1/n
    [tex]\frac{\frac{1}{n}}{\frac{1}{n^{1 + \frac{1}{n}}}} = n^{n}[/tex]
    That limit is 1. And since its absolute value converges (a) converges.

(b) Basic Comparion test wtih <= [tex]\frac{e}{n^{2}}[/tex]

(c) Alternating series test

(e) Integral test

(f) Im not sure which test to apply
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2008 #2
    (d) is wrong,a dn so is (a), not sure how to prove if they are convergent (if they are).

Is (d) divergent?
  4. Feb 7, 2008 #3
    (a) is convergent by alternating series test.

Did I end up proving (d) divergent or is my proof wrong?

I'm also quite lost on (f) since I can't integrate that function nicely
  5. Feb 7, 2008 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Too many questions at once! d) is divergent. It's the same as 1/(n*n^(1/n)). For n^(1/n) show that the log of that approaches zero. So n^(1/n) approaches 1. So you can do a comparison with say 1/(2n). For f) expand e^(-1/n) in a power series using e^x=1+x+x^2/2!+etc and keep only the terms that matter.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?