Are Top Physics Schools in the US Accessible for Gravitational Physics Students?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Libohove90
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Study gravitational Physics??

I am an undergraduate physics student at Temple University in Philly. I have been interested in gravity and general relativity since my junior year in high school. I also love quantum mechanics (at least its crazy implications).

I am thinking of a direction for the future. Even though I have a few years to think about it, it certainly doesn't hurt to ask now.

I plan to do well on all my physics courses, engage in research with professor and summer research programs (hopefully I get in). Out of all areas in physics, I'd say general relativity is my favorite subject, followed by quantum mechanics and such. Gravity is what I really like. I would like to know if there's much research in gravitational physics (like detecting gravitational waves from magnetars or w.e). Is there a "future" as far as employment or careers if I pursue this direction in physics?

I would love to apply to the top tier physics schools, but I am realistic too. Are graduate physics programs in the University of Maryland and Penn State tough to get into? I like their physics programs because it entails a community of theoretical physicists and cool research in really cool topics. Penn State has the Institute of Gravitation and the Cosmos, which I have a longing to do research in. Are they really tough to get into? I really have no idea. As far as competition is concerned, I am only familiar with medical school admissions.

Thanks for the feedback ;)
 
Physics news on Phys.org


What is your GPA and GRE scores? Knowing these will help me better assess your chances. I will say that University of Maryland and Penn State are not super difficult to get into if you have a decent profile. They are certainly not as difficult to get into as the other top schools in gravity. Feel free to send me a private message if you would prefer to discuss things that way.