Are wave functions and quantum waves synonyms?

In summary: And and a solution to the Klein-Gordon equation ψ_KG = exp(i(kx - ωt)) looks like a solution of the Schrödinger equation ψ_Sch = exp(i(kx - ωt)), but the ψ_KG cannot be physically interpreted as a quantum state, whereas the ψ_Sch can... Mystery? No, simply that physics is not math.
stglyde
Are wave functions and quantum waves synonyms? If not, how do the meanings differ?

I'm asking because wave functions are mathematical abstractions and can't be real. But in Objective collapse theories, Bohmian mechanics, they are said to be real. Or more accurately, should the correct words be thus.. "the quantum waves in say bohmian mechanics or objective collapse theories are real but their wave functions are mathematical abstractions"?

Physics news on Phys.org
No one knows the answer to this?

stglyde said:
Are wave functions and quantum waves synonyms? If not, how do the meanings differ?

I'm asking because wave functions are mathematical abstractions and can't be real. But in Objective collapse theories, Bohmian mechanics, they are said to be real. Or more accurately, should the correct words be thus.. "the quantum waves in say bohmian mechanics or objective collapse theories are real but their wave functions are mathematical abstractions"?

A wave function is not a wave (quantum or otherwise). A 'wave function' describes the state of a quantum system. Also I do not know why you say that in objective collapse theories the wave functions are said to be real.

A wave function is not a wave (quantum or otherwise).
Funny, but I solve the Schrodinger wave equation and get a plane wave solution. How is ψ = exp(i(kx - ωt)) not a wave? Sure looks like a wave to me.

stglyde said:
I don't think anyone uses the term "quantum wave".

Fredrik said:
I don't think anyone uses the term "quantum wave".
By way of a question and not a contradiction, while people might not use the term ‘quantum wave’ and other formulations, e.g. matrix, might avoid the concept, Schrodinger’s wave formulation seems to be entirely based on wave mechanics and deBroglie’s idea of matter wave dispersion. If so, it would sems that only later did certain QM interpretations argue that ‘quantum waves’ were only a mathematical abstraction. So does the answer to the OP depend on which interpretation you favour?

Bill_K said:
Funny, but I solve the Schrodinger wave equation and get a plane wave solution. How is ψ = exp(i(kx - ωt)) not a wave? Sure looks like a wave to me.

And a solution to the Klein-Gordon equation ψ_KG = exp(i(kx - ωt)) looks like a solution of the Schrödinger equation ψ_Sch = exp(i(kx - ωt)), but the ψ_KG cannot be physically interpreted as a quantum state, whereas the ψ_Sch can... Mystery? No, simply that physics is not math.

1. Are wave functions and quantum waves the same thing?

No, wave functions and quantum waves are not the same thing. While they are related concepts in quantum mechanics, they have distinct meanings and properties.

2. What is a wave function in quantum mechanics?

A wave function in quantum mechanics is a mathematical function that describes the state of a quantum system. It contains information about the probability of finding a particle in a certain location or state.

3. How are wave functions and quantum waves related?

Wave functions are used to describe the behavior of quantum waves, which are the probabilistic nature of particles at the quantum level. Essentially, quantum waves are described by wave functions.

4. Can a wave function be observed?

No, a wave function cannot be directly observed. It is a mathematical concept used to describe the behavior of quantum systems, but it does not have a physical form that can be observed.

5. Are wave functions and quantum waves synonyms in all contexts?

No, while they are often used interchangeably in informal contexts, wave functions and quantum waves are not synonyms in all contexts. They have different mathematical and physical properties that make them distinct concepts in quantum mechanics.