Are You Addicted to Poker on Facebook?

  • Thread starter Thread starter chaoseverlasting
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
35 replies · 7K views


A woman I know claimed a few years back that her son had won something like $100,000 in online poker. Do you think she was exaggerating?
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Loren Booda said:
A woman I know claimed a few years back that her son had won something like $100,000 in online poker. Do you think she was exaggerating?

Its definitely possible. Online games on Full Tilt range to $1,000 blinds (the amount you have to pay to be in on anyone hand). Tourneys range up to a million or so dollars for top prize.

edit: I was suprised myself at the amount of money that apparently flows through online poker sites.
 


Loren Booda said:
A woman I know claimed a few years back that her son had won something like $100,000 in online poker. Do you think she was exaggerating?

I know quite a few online grinders that make about that much per year. Especially before the UIGEA passed a few years ago, the games were amazingly soft.

High volume players can also make a ton of money in what's called "rakeback," which is basically a bonus from the site.

I'm not quite that good, I could easily squeeze out minimum wage though, or a few dollars more, if I had to.
 


Jack21222 said:
I know quite a few online grinders that make about that much per year. Especially before the UIGEA passed a few years ago, the games were amazingly soft.

High volume players can also make a ton of money in what's called "rakeback," which is basically a bonus from the site.

I'm not quite that good, I could easily squeeze out minimum wage though, or a few dollars more, if I had to.

I've been thinking about finding some good books on poker, as I've mentioned. Do you know of any or are you all experience? I've looked for good tutorials online but that's pretty fruitless since everyone has their own perspective and wants to be paid for it.
 


TheStatutoryApe said:
I've been thinking about finding some good books on poker, as I've mentioned. Do you know of any or are you all experience? I've looked for good tutorials online but that's pretty fruitless since everyone has their own perspective and wants to be paid for it.

Anything by 2+2 publications is reputable. I'd avoid almost anything else, in fact.

In fact, I can give you a specific recommendation, since you're a tournament player. Harrington on Hold'em.
 
Last edited:
Wow. I didnt know it was such a huge thing. Its sort of gripped our class at the moment with every other guy playing Texas Hold Em on Facebook. I don't think Ill ever play with real money, but I am up to about a half mil in play money on the site.