How to stop wasting a lot of time on facebook?

  • Thread starter Thread starter kntsy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
37 replies · 6K views
Around the time the google first came out lycos, yahoo, etc were all very cluttered pages with search functions. They were trying to be all things to all people.

Google became popular because it was minimalist (and on 56k minimalism was a good thing), it just did what it says on the tin. You type in a phrase click search and it finds it for you.

It was also the reason why people got nerd rage over igoogle and the new search results page.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DanP said:
Doesn't really matter to what as long it helps them live a happier life. At least this is my view.
And yet again I find myself agreeing with you. I don't know whether fatigue or alcohol is the interfering factor (probably both), but I find it presently impossible to properly express my opinions in this matter. I'll attempt to regenerate for a few hours, then come back and see if I can do better.
 
leroyjenkens said:
How did Facebook suddenly supplant Myspace? It's the same thing, isn't it? Suddenly there was some mass migration to Facebook for no apparent reason. Was it just an information cascade?
See http://www.mediacollege.com/video/format/compare/betamax-vhs.html"

leroyjenkens said:
I'm also somewhat curious how Google got so big. It wasn't the first search engine; there were plenty of others. But suddenly Google comes along and inexplicably becomes the search engine.
I assumed people just liked the name, or they just like new things. You know- idiotic reasons.
Nope. Google made one promise and one promise only. And then it delivered on that promise.

Back in the computers-hewn-from-stone days I avoided Google for a while, preferring Alta Vista. Eventually, I could not deny that Google was delivering more relevant results.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
See VHS versus beta war
I see what you're saying; Facebook allows porn.
 
leroyjenkens said:
I see what you're saying; Facebook allows porn.

In researching this article I was unable to find any substantiated evidence that pornography sales significantly influenced the outcome of the war.

See means read, not just open the link :-p

Facebook killed Myspace because everybody

1) Hated looking at pages where the background sparkles in all various 256 available colors
2) For some insane reason enjoyed making pages where the background sparkles in all 256 available colors.

Also, Facebook marketed itself as a college website; since everyone at the time using these sorts of things was college or younger it essentially was a place for more sophisticated people to hang out. Then of course as the MySpace people get older, they want to be sophisticated also and switch to facebook. Then Facebook commited the coup de grace by allowing anyone and their dog to get a Facebook account
 
I've looked at a couple of Myspace pages and it sucked. People have music on auto-play, they have background images that are horrible and so much garbage that my computer almost freezes.

Facebook was originally limited to only college students? After seeing how popular Myspace was, how could you not allow anyone to make an account?

But I still don't see how that link could have given me those answers.
 
leroyjenkens said:
Facebook was originally limited to only college students? After seeing how popular Myspace was, how could you not allow anyone to make an account?

Yeah, it used to be limited to college students. Back when I was a sophomore in 2003, I recall that you had to have a university email address to sign up. I don't even remember when it stopped being a college thing.
 
I think facebook started allowing non university accounts in around 2006/2007.