Have You Fallen Down the 2048 Rabbit Hole Yet?

In summary, this person got addicted to 2048 and found it to be monotonous. They suggest adding tournaments and categories to keep the game interesting.
Redbelly98
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Has anyone else here gotten addicted to this game?

I started playing a few weeks ago, and just came this close to getting a 4096!

upload_2015-3-30_22-0-33.png

Just needed to get another freakin' 8, but ran out of space.

Likes Silicon Waffle
Physics news on Phys.org
I got up to 1024. Getting two 1024s is quite a challenge.
Best score was about 14548.

Last edited:
I'll admit that I googled 2048 strategy, and only after that did I get to 2048. You really want to keep your current highest piece in a corner. And then keep an adjacent side filled with your other high-value pieces, in descending order, so that you can move pieces around in the remaining rows without disturbing the high-value ones.

Keeping the highest piece safely in a corner has a higher priority than combining the low-value ones.

Redbelly98 said:
I'll admit that I googled 2048 strategy, and only after that did I get to 2048. You really want to keep your current highest piece in a corner. And then keep an adjacent side filled with your other high-value pieces, in descending order, so that you can move pieces around in the remaining rows without disturbing the high-value ones.

Keeping the highest piece safely in a corner has a higher priority than combining the low-value ones.
I was wondering about a strategy. Often the intermediate value pieces end up on either side of a high value, and it's a pain to get them together.

I was up past 4096. It started to take a lot of time for each game and got a bit monotonous.

Now, I'm somewhat addicted to QuizUp, although I don't play that as much as I did a couple months ago. There's a limited number of questions, even though they do update the questions periodically. Eventually you get to the point where you've memorized so many questions that it's not much fun to compete against so many lower level players. My interest started to wane when I finally achieved my "50 straight wins" award.

But, when you get another high level player that's on-line, the games can be a lot of fun. Or a little bit frustrating. The first time I achieved a perfect score, it resulted in a tie. I played about 7 games against that guy and he had two perfect scores; I had one.

You can challenge the good players, but, if they're not on-line, you each compete alone and your scores are compared after each have played their games. It doesn't have the same intensity playing alone.

What they really need is some tournaments scheduled for specific times with similar levels grouped together.

Playing some of the categories that you don't know much about is fun, too. I challenged my daughter to "Spanish language" and beat her, so she challenged me to Hindi. That was interesting.

BobG said:
I was up past 4096. It started to take a lot of time for each game and got a bit monotonous.
I finally got there about a week ago. (On my smart phone, not my laptop, so no screenshot.)

collinsmark said:
Yes, that is the very cartoon that steered me toward 2048. When I first read it, was thinking "huh?", but after some googling I now have a new way to waste my time. :-)

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is the objective of the 2048 mobile app game?

The objective of the 2048 mobile app game is to combine tiles with the same number to create a tile with the number 2048. The game is won when the player successfully creates a tile with the number 2048.

2. How do I play the 2048 mobile app game?

To play the 2048 mobile app game, you can swipe left, right, up, or down on the game board to move the tiles. The tiles will merge if they have the same number, and a new tile with a larger number will be created. The game is lost when the game board is full and there are no more possible moves.

3. Can I undo my moves in the 2048 mobile app game?

Yes, you can undo your moves in the 2048 mobile app game by pressing the "undo" button. However, this feature is limited and can only be used a certain number of times.

4. Is the 2048 mobile app game available on all devices?

Yes, the 2048 mobile app game is available on both iOS and Android devices. It can also be played on desktop browsers.

5. Are there any in-app purchases in the 2048 mobile app game?

No, there are no in-app purchases in the 2048 mobile app game. The game is completely free to download and play.