Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to stop wasting a lot of time on facebook?

1. Jul 13, 2010 #1
    In this summer, i spend almost an hour every day on facebook. I want to delete my account but i'm afraid i will be discriminated as everyone uses it. I try many methods like blocking its IP address but when i want to use facebook i just unblock the IP so i am totally addicted to it!
    My main activities on facebook are "liking" things, checking my friends'/enemies' photos,updating my status,joining groups,etc. I have wasted lots of time now so are you guys also addicted to it?Also can you suggest some recipes to reduce the amount of time using facebook?
    Thanks for saving my life.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 13, 2010 #2
    The best way to deal with this is to understand the root of the problem. A lot of people spend hours and hours on social networking sites. It becomes a problem if you do it at the cost of other more important things. For example if you are logged in on facebook when you know you should be studying. Furthermore not being on facebook is nothing to be ashamed of. People survived just fine before facebook was invented. Engaging yourself in more wholesome and healthy activities like playing sports or reading books will definitely reduce facebook time.

4. Jul 13, 2010 #3
    I don't know if it's possible, but if so delete your account. I don't know how/why you'd be "discriminated" for it.

As far as I know, nothing important happens on facebook (well, besides keeping in touch with old friends but that's not what you're doing).

5. Jul 14, 2010 #4
    Yeah, I also don't think there's any discrimination against people who don't use Facebook. I have an account, but I look at Facebook for maybe 2 minutes a day, and I rarely say/do anything (usually it's just a good way to pass time when I'm waiting for a code to compile or something), so effectively I'm off the grid Facebook-wise. I've never experienced any sort of discrimination.

I've heard that if you're more career-oriented, LinkedIn is the way to go.

6. Jul 14, 2010 #5
    For me, the only thing I really need Facebook for, is to get to know about upcoming events my friends are hosting, since most of them use Facebook to invite a lot of people to any specific activity, and to get hold of photos my friend uploads. Like you, I've been spending my time there for no specific reason and I was fed up with it.

What I did was to cancel all my pages, likes and interests and remove all the info about me. I also sat the privacy setting to extremely private, meaning that anyone who now visits my profile basically only see my profile picture, and that's it (no photos, no info, no possibility to post anything on my wall, no nothing). Then I turned on e-mail notifications to everything (excluding pages invites and stuff like that) and logged out. Then I started to mail and SMS my friends instead.

I guess this move made me feel less committed to Facebook while I still wouldn't miss out on anything important that was going on there (that is, invitations to events or private messages).

At the same time, I also canceled my Twitter account and removed all my feeds from Google Reader, turning them into bookmarks on Delicious instead. I reasoned that if I couldn't be bothered to type in the adress manually and visit the blog that way, I probably wasn't that interested in the content from the start. Google Reader had become another service I just kept going to for no apparent reason other than to check for something new.

I guess my current drug is this forum, but I rather discuss and read discussions about scientific topics than to sit and wait for my friends to update their progress on making dinner.

7. Jul 14, 2010 #6
    I've never used Facebook or Myspace and no one cares. They use it, but they're not giving me separate water fountains. Some people use it, some people don't. Some have urged me to make an account, but I never did.

What do you get out of Facebook? You feel like you're connected to what's going on when you log onto Facebook?
    Everything that happens on Facebook is inconsequential. Trust me, if you stopped using Facebook for the rest of your life, you'll have missed nothing.

8. Jul 14, 2010 #7
    I can't believe this is a thread. Go outside and play in the sandbox or something.

9. Jul 14, 2010 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Spend more time at this forum: Solution to facebook addiction.

Caution: This site can actually be more addictive than Facebook.

10. Jul 14, 2010 #9
    The best way would be to destroy Facebook or better the Internet as a whole. You may also consider destroying Earth itself, no one would discriminate you any more.

11. Jul 14, 2010 #10

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

12. Jul 14, 2010 #11
    How can you be so sure of this? Today, facebook is often used to invite several people to events at once. You could miss out on these invitations.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  13. Jul 14, 2010 #12
    Removing the particular object of addiction may simply move your fixation to another object. Your seeking to limit your own time on this endeavour implies that there is something else you feel obliged to be doing, and that doing this makes you feel less than satisfied with how you spent your time. Figure out what you believe you are trading your time in for and do that instead.
    Treating a problem by first believing that you cannot directly control yourself (ie., blocking the IP address to artificially make it harder for your "self" to get to Facebook) does not solve the presence of the initial impulse to get to Facebook in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  14. Jul 14, 2010 #13
    I may not be able to do this but i swear i will never like any pages from now on.
    lol,I can learn a lot from this site but i learn nothing from facebook.

15. Jul 14, 2010 #14
    I think you're right here. Facebook is not the problem. It's the urge to avoid or not start doing that other, more important activity that is the real problem. Remove Facebook and something else will probably just take its place (as I said, for me, it's now this forum).

16. Jul 14, 2010 #15
    kntsy; Tell me. Why can't you clean up your profile (given that you actually think that would be a good idea for you, as you seem to suggest)? Please, tell me :)

17. Jul 14, 2010 #16

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Today on Facebook, I made contact with an old Navy buddy. It has been over 30yrs since I last spoke with him. I have also posted pics of my family that most of them have never seen. For the last year I have been playing chess with my son who lives a continent away, on Facebook.

Yeah, it does take a lot of time, but I also get contact with family and friends impossible without it.

18. Jul 14, 2010 #17
    Realize it is a waste of time. "liking" something over the internet is like posting on an internet forum as this and thinking that it makes a difference.

19. Jul 14, 2010 #18
    I think the only way is to delete your account

20. Jul 14, 2010 #19
    What would happen if you sat a goal? No Facebook for a week. Could you do it? Try it out.

21. Jul 15, 2010 #20
    I spent a lot of time building them so i feel sorry for clean them up. :) . As i also havs blocked the i.p. address so i do not want to unblock it and go to facebook again. Any invitation can be received through the email sent by facebook and i can check any important in my yahoo email instead of facebook. I leave the account there and i don't touch it. :)

22. Jul 15, 2010 #21

Danger

Gold Member

I have no ill-feeling toward anyone who, like Integral, uses the site for a specific purpose and maintains control and composure wilst posting. Unfortunately, such is not the general approach to the site. It has always seemed to me to be an incredibly stupid thing to do.
    It absolutely never crossed my mind to join. For the most part, the users are teeny-boppers who treat the thing like a diary, with no clue that what they post is recorded for all eternity (well, the duration of the human race) for everyone to read. How is someone who is now 17 going to feel when her grandchild asks her about the six guys and a keg of beer that she posted about today? (That is assuming that "morality" hasn't changed much by then, as it hasn't really in the past couple of hundred years.)
    W got me to register her for the site. I suspected that there was something amiss with our relationship when she insisted upon listing her status as "single". She has since updated it to show that her primary interest is "men". (And I can say from experience that she doesn't know what to do with one when she has it. :rolleyes:)

23. Jul 16, 2010 #22
    It is? I can't even find status updates that I made a year ago and that I'm really trying to find.

24. Jul 16, 2010 #23

Danger

Gold Member

I'm neither a hacker nor a cracker, but it's pretty much established fact (or, to be correct, a strongly supported theory) that anything that has ever been posted on the net is recorded somewhere. Just because I can't access it doesn't mean for a second that nobody else can. I couldn't begin to try, because the limit of my programming experience deals with Atari Basic.

25. Jul 16, 2010 #24
    That might be true. However, one could ask who this another might be. I couldn't imagine that someone would dig through all the junk that I've posted on the net. In that case, I would be more flattered than offended :)

26. Jul 16, 2010 #25

And do you harbor ill-feelings towards the rest ? This would be kinda laughable, don't get me wrong. Their life its their own to do with it what they want. Don't judge them, less you want to become judged yourself.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook