Are you ready for a next-in-line future Queen or King to be born?

  • Topic: News 
  • Thread starter Thread starter StevieTNZ
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Future
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
41 replies · 11K views
Physics news on Phys.org
After they changed the laws so that the firstborn will become ruler (King or Queen) did they also change the spouse naming convention? The wife of the King gets to be Queen, but the husband of the Queen is traditionally given the title Prince (Prince consort).
 
collector said:
After they changed the laws so that the firstborn will become ruler (King or Queen) did they also change the spouse naming convention?

I go for the Bislama version (the language of the South Pacific Island Vanatu). English translation: "Number one big fella him belong Mrs Queen."
 
collector said:
After they changed the laws so that the firstborn will become ruler (King or Queen) did they also change the spouse naming convention? The wife of the King gets to be Queen, but the husband of the Queen is traditionally given the title Prince (Prince consort).

There is legislation going through NZ's Parliament regarding this, as all Commonwealth countries need the law in place, to align with UK's law.

http://inthehouse.co.nz/node/19593
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yawn!

Baby? Did I mention that my 6th grandchild (1st grandaughter) was recently born?
 
May I ask if the royal couple induced any measures to improve the odds of a boy? I believe sperm with X chromosomes can be separated from sperm with Y chromosomes.
 
jackmell said:
May I ask if the royal couple induced any measures to improve the odds of a boy?
Unlikely, since both parents refused to be told what sex it was before it was born.
 
AlephZero said:
Unlikely, since both parents refused to be told what sex it was before it was born.

That's not sufficient: you can still separate the sperm and still not have 100% separation so won't know conclusively if an X got through (the cell membrane) so won't know for sure until examination. And I suppose it's just a coincidence the next in line are four males about the same time we develop the knowledge to select sex this way. Suppose though it would cause controversy if exposed. But you would think for something so important, and a family with resources to do so, that they would want to ensure a male heir.
 
Last edited:
Am I the only one here who doesn't care about her or her baby whatsoever?
 
Chemicist said:
Am I the only one here who doesn't care about her or her baby whatsoever?

Nope, you're not the only one.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
micromass said:
Nope, you're not the only one.
Yea. Besides, you have to be ready for YOUR new King. :biggrin:
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
russ_watters said:
Who's baby?

LOL! I like that attitude. :)
 
Integral said:
Yawn!

Baby? Did I mention that my 6th grandchild (1st grandaughter) was recently born?

LOL

I feel much the same way as you

but a hearty congrats on your relatively new grand-daughter :)

Dave
 
Applicable to NZ:

http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/world/18107150/rules-shake-up-preceded-royal-birth/

A radical shake-up of the rules of succession was rushed through parliament ahead of the birth of the royal baby.

But with the arrival of a son for the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, it is not likely to be until the next generation that the law affects who actually accedes to the throne.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
russ_watters said:
Who's baby?

Hmm, we have a baby which is already predestined to become a ruler at its birth. We have a baby born into an elitist society not everybody can enter and we have this society practicing awkward and strange traditions...I suppose people must be talking about Rosemary's baby. :devil:
 
leroyjenkens said:
I'm not ready. Stick it back in.
LOL oh god I lol'ed so hard. The royal "stick it back in" festival need commence!

Anyways, as an American I have more important celebrity babies to pay attention to, especially Kanye and Kim's baby North West.
 
. . . Jesus guys, someone had to be king back then and their lineage was. It's a celebration of the growth of humanity from humble, animal, primitive beginnings to the grand skyscrapers and space crafts of today: two hundred-thousand generations and the razor-sharp cutting edge of selection have crafted what we have today and the Royal family had a more-than-ordinary part in that evolution.

So quit hatin' them and I'm not even British.
 
Integral said:
Yawn!

Baby? Did I mention that my 6th grandchild (1st grandaughter) was recently born?

Is your granddaughter royalty? No? Yawn...*

Chemicist said:
Am I the only one here who doesn't care about her or her baby whatsoever?

For someone who doesn't care, you took your time to go to the thread, read the posts, post a comment, and reply to replies...

russ_watters said:
Who's baby?

Read the subject of the topic.

Since the baby won't be King for quite sometime, you have more time to be ready.

*Congratulations, by the way!
 
I don't disparage the media from covering the birth at all but I can't stand the common trend of constantly reporting that there is nothing to report. It happens with every "major" news story whether it be serious like a bomb attack or trivial like celebrity news.

After the first 15minutes of summary, eye witness accounts and expert interviews there's nothing more to be said but news outlets constantly report with increasing speculation. It's an utter waste of time. With this story all day the news has cut to a reporter standing outside the hospital reporting nothing has happened yet, then they'd ask the reporter to guess when something would happen. Mad!

Imagine how informed about world events people might be if rolling news reported news rather than the lack of development in one story...
 
turbo said:
Is there a single person here who effected by "ROYAL" birth?
You mean who will be affected by this birth? Every British person to a certain extent, every commonwealth country to a lesser and the rest of the world even less than that. At the mildest this person will be constantly on the news and eventually on the money, more significantly they will attend hundreds of ceremonial meetings per year meeting foreign diplomats and ministers. Whilst the role is mostly ceremonial it's incorrect to think that the royal family has no effect on British internal and external politics, just look at Prince Charles and his history of lobbying for homoeopathy on the NHS.
 
nobahar said:
Is your granddaughter royalty? No? Yawn...*

So what does this mean ? somebody born to privilege, by being lucky to be born in the " ROYAL" family or is it just following of a tradition that existed long time ago.
 
nobahar said:
Is your granddaughter royalty? No? Yawn...*

As far as I am concerned she sure is. She is MUCH more important to me then some baby born to the European elite. Yawn!
 
nobahar said:
For someone who doesn't care, you took your time to go to the thread, read the posts, post a comment, and reply to replies...

Excuse me, but I didn't realize you were the one dictating what I can and cannot do with my time. It's my time - I'll do what I want with it. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
 
jackmell said:
So quit hatin' them and I'm not even British.

I don't hate them at all, in fact I love the royal family and I love Britain. (No I'm not British.)

What I hate is how some woman from the royal family has a baby and it's covered all day, every day, for a week or two, on every news station. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2