1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area approximation and (riemann?) sums

1. Jan 30, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am a first-year physics student learning calculus. my question is about the approximation of the area of a region bounded by y = 0.
    2. Relevant equations
    Use rectangles (four of them) to approximate the area of the region bounded by y = 5/x (already did this one), and y = 0. The height of the tallest rectangle is 5 units, on the y-axis. The numbers(width of the rectangles) on the x-axis are respectively: 1, 2, 3, 4 units.

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first question was to find the area bounded by y = 5/x which i did: 5/1 + 5/2 +5/3 + 5/4 = approximately 10.4. I know this is correct.
    Then the area bounded by y = 0 would just be zero i assume? is there a certain way to write this one or is it just zero? i cannot see what else it could be.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2009 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think they just mean to say find the area bounded BETWEEN the two curves y=5/x and y=0. It's just a single problem, which you already did. Not two separate problems.

4. Jan 30, 2009 #3
    ohhh. good to know. silly me. thankyou

5. Jan 31, 2009 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

science rules,
    You might find it interesting that your estimate of 10.4 for the area bounded by the graph of y = 5/x and the x-axis (the line y = 0) is a very low estimate. In fact, the area of this region is infinite.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?