Riemann Sum to find the time to fill a container

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the total area under a graph of p vs t and using it to determine the time when the container holds 22 fewer liters than it does at time t = 9. The conversation includes a discussion of using rectangles to approximate the area and the use of Riemann sums, with the conclusion that the approximate time is t = 4 hours. However, in part b ii), the exact time is asked for, but the instruction is to not use an integral. The conversation concludes with a suggestion to use the limit of an infinite Riemann sum, but the exact time can be found by using the integral of p(t).
songoku
Homework Statement
The function p = f(t); 2 ≤ t ≤ 36 shows the rate (liter/hour) at which water flows into a container at time t hours.
(a) Write an equation you would solve to find when the container holds 22 fewer liters than it does at time t = 9. Do not use indefinite integral

(b)
(i) Use the graph of p = 12 - 3√t to approximate the time when the container holds 22 fewer liters than it does at time t = 9.

(ii) Find the exact times. Do not use integral
Relevant Equations
Riemann Sum
(a) I imagine there are several rectangles to represent the area under graph of p vs t then I try to make equation for the total area. Since the question asks about time when the container holds 22 fewer liters than it does at time t = 9, I think the total area of rectangles starting from t = b until t = 9 will be 22 liters, where b is the time I want to find. So:
$$\Sigma_{t=b}^{9} ~ f(t).\Delta t=22$$

Is that correct?

(b) I tried to calculate the area of rectangles using the right end-point and add the area starting from t = 9 and going backwards until I get the total area = 22. I did it twice, one by using Δt = 1 but I felt this is not accurate enough so I did it again using Δt = 0.5

tf(t)Cumulative Area

So the approximate time is t = 4 hours

Is that correct?

(ii) To find the exact time, I take the interval for t to be [b, 9] and ##\Delta t = \frac{9-b}{n}## where ##n## is the number of rectangles

$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\Sigma f(t).\Delta t$$
$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\Sigma (12-3\sqrt {t}).\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right)$$
$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right) (\Sigma_{t=b}^{9} 12 - 3\Sigma_{t=b}^{9} \sqrt{t})$$
$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right) (12 (10-b) - 3\left(\sqrt{b} + \sqrt{b+\left(\frac{9-b}{n}\right)}+\sqrt{b+2\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right)}+\sqrt{b+3\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right)}+...+\sqrt{9}\right)$$

Is this correct? If yes, how to simplify the sum of root?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello again,

I understand the function is given as ## \ p(t) = 3-\sqrt t\ ## in the exercise, not only for part b), but also for part a) ?

I wonder why your table is ascending order in time (somewhat confusing , at least for me :smile: ).

From column 3 I gather you approach the integral as a lower Riemann sum (red line). There is also an upper Riemann sum, and the integral is more closely approached if you take the average of the two ...

1619526525877.png

##\ ##

Likes songoku
When it says do not use an indefinite integral in the first part, is that because they want you to write down a definite integral instead?

Likes songoku and BvU
BvU said:
Hello again,

I understand the function is given as ## \ p(t) = 3-\sqrt t\ ## in the exercise, not only for part b), but also for part a) ?
Hello BvU

I am not sure but I think the equation ##p=12-3\sqrt{t}## (not ##p=3-\sqrt{t}##) is for question (b) only, not for question (a)

BvU said:
I wonder why your table is ascending order in time (somewhat confusing , at least for me :smile: ).
You mean descending in time? I tried to find the total area to be equal to 22 starting from t = b to t = 9 so I think it will be easier for me if I do it backwards, starting from t = 9

BvU said:
From column 3 I gather you approach the integral as a lower Riemann sum (red line). There is also an upper Riemann sum, and the integral is more closely approached if you take the average of the two ...

You mean the approximation will be better if I use the midpoint of the rectangle (rather than the left end-point or the right end-point) ?

Office_Shredder said:
When it says do not use an indefinite integral in the first part, is that because they want you to write down a definite integral instead?
I am not so sure about this one, the instruction from the question is only that. I tried to avoid integration so I tried to find the total area of rectangles. Is it possible to answer without involving integral or must be related to integration?

Thanks

songoku said:
I am not sure but I think the equation p=12−3t (not p=3−t) is for question (b) only, not for question (a)
Yes, of course (not ##p=3−\sqrt t##) -- typo.

And I think you are correct. So the answer for part a) is most likely something in the form of $$22\; \text {L} \ = \int_{t_1}^{t_2}f(t)\, dt$$ ...

So in part b i) you are asked to approximate and that means you can do as you did. Indeed, average of upper and lower sum is more accurate. (Even more acurate will be using Simpson's rule)

I then do not understand how an exact answer can be given in part b ii) without actually using the integral.

And again I think I found a serious flaw in the exercise. Inspired by the ##p=12-3\sqrt{t}\ ## in combination with ## 2 ≤ t ≤ 36 ## !

Likes songoku
BvU said:
I then do not understand how an exact answer can be given in part b ii) without actually using the integral.
If we only consider the working, is my approach correct?

Thanks

The right approach to compute the exact time is to compute the integral of p(t) and use that. Writing it as the limit of an infinite sum and trying to compute that from first principles is crazy.

Your approximation method seems fine, you could probably be a bit more careful about whether you like t=4 or 4.5 or maybe just pick some point between them but the principle of what you did looks ok.

Likes songoku
Office_Shredder said:
The right approach to compute the exact time is to compute the integral of p(t) and use that. Writing it as the limit of an infinite sum and trying to compute that from first principles is crazy.
I completely agree, but what can be meant with
songoku said:
(ii) Find the exact times. Do not use integral
Must the poor student really execute the Riemann sum limit (which we know IS doing the integration) ?(In view of the last line in my #5 I do find the plural 'times' ironic :biggrin:)

So the approximate time is t = 4 hours

Is that correct?
Doing the integral shows it is the exact time, so: yes.

Let's dive into this Riemann sum with the knowledge that ##b## is equal to 4
(ii) To find the exact time, I take the interval for t to be [b, 9] and ##\Delta t = \frac{9-b}{n}## where ##n## is the number of rectangles

$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\Sigma f(t).\Delta t$$
Perhaps more clearly written as $$\lim_{n \to \infty}\sum_{i = 0}^{n-1} \, f(t_i) \,\Delta t $$
Where you also want to tell us that ##\ t_i = b + (i+{1\over 2}) \Delta t\ ## -- (or use lower or upper Riemann sum, whatever: be precise !)

$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\Sigma (12-3\sqrt {t}).\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right)$$
$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right) (\Sigma_{t=b}^{9} 12 - 3\Sigma_{t=b}^{9} \sqrt{t})$$

$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right) (12 (10-b) - 3\left(\sqrt{b} + \sqrt{b+\left(\frac{9-b}{n}\right)}+\sqrt{b+2\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right)}+\sqrt{b+3\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right)}+...+\sqrt{9}\right)$$

Is this correct? If yes, how to simplify the sum of root?
No. The ##\ {9-b\over n} \ ## should not precede the ##\ 12(9-b) \ ## (not 10 but 9!) . The constant ##12## simply yields ##n ## times ##\ 12\Delta t\ ##.

Then the 'sum of root' as you designate it: from the integral we know $$\int _b^9 \, 3\sqrt t \,dt = 2\, \left. t^{3\over 2} \right \rvert_b^9 \ = 2(27-8) $$ and there may (must be) a way to end up with that using limits and Taylor, but I leave that to the interested reader ... :wink:

##\ ##

Last edited:
Likes songoku
BvU said:
No. The ##\ {9-b\over n} \ ## should not precede the ##\ 12(9-b) \ ## (not 10 but 9!) . The constant ##12## simply yields ##n ## times ##\ 12\Delta t\ ##.
I understand why it should be 9, not 10 but sorry I don't understand what you mean by "The ##\ {9-b\over n} \ ## should not precede the ##\ 12(9-b) \ ## "

BvU said:
And again I think I found a serious flaw in the exercise. Inspired by the ##p=12-3\sqrt{t}\ ## in combination with ## 2 ≤ t ≤ 36 ## !
By this, do you mean the rate will be negative after t = 16 hours?

Thanks

Correct. And since the claim is that the expression is valid for a much longer period (perhaps by mistake, 36 instead of 16?), there is a second point where the holdup is 22 L :nb)

##\ ##

Likes songoku
Thank very much for the help and explanation BvU and Office_Shredder

songoku said:
I understand why it should be 9, not 10 but sorry I don't understand what you mean by "The ##\ {9-b\over n} \ ## should not precede the ##\ 12(9-b) \ ## "
$$22=\lim_{n \to \infty}~\left(\frac{9-b}{n} \right) \Biggl ( \Sigma_{t=b}^{9} \; 12 \quad ... $$
The summation of ##n## identical terms yields ##12n##. With the factor in front you get ##12(9-b)##.

##\ ##

Likes songoku

1. What is a Riemann Sum?

A Riemann Sum is a mathematical method used to approximate the area under a curve by dividing it into smaller rectangles and finding the sum of their areas.

2. How is a Riemann Sum used to find the time to fill a container?

A Riemann Sum can be used to find the time to fill a container by representing the rate of filling as a function and using the sum of the rectangles to approximate the total volume of the container.

3. What is the significance of using a Riemann Sum to find the time to fill a container?

Using a Riemann Sum allows for a more accurate estimation of the time to fill a container compared to other methods, as it takes into account the changing rate of filling over time.

4. Can a Riemann Sum be used for any type of container?

Yes, a Riemann Sum can be used for any type of container as long as the rate of filling can be represented by a function.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Riemann Sum to find the time to fill a container?

One limitation is that the accuracy of the estimation depends on the number of rectangles used in the calculation. The more rectangles, the more accurate the estimation will be. Additionally, the rate of filling must be constant or have a defined function for the Riemann Sum to be applicable.