1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area bounded by Curves Integration Question

1. Nov 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the region bounded by the two functions from y=0 to y=2

equations given:
    x=(y-1)2 -1
    x=(y-1)2 +1

express x as a function of y and integrate it with respect to y

2. Relevant equations

equations given:
    x=(y-1)2 -1
    x=(y-1)2 +1

3. The attempt at a solution

Set x as a function of y

sqrt(x+1) + 1 =y
    sqrt(x-1 ) + 1 = y

4. The confusion

The second equation doesn't actually exist until x =1...does that mean I have to just integrate from 1 to 2? But....

It says from y=0 to y=2... I am confused about this. I am told to express x as a function of y and integrate it with respect to y.... I am unclear as to the meaning of this. It would make more sense if this was x=0 to x=2... please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2012 #2
    Okay, I think the two equations you have are:
    ##x=(y-1)^2-1##
    ##x=(y-1)^2+1##

Think about the wording: "express x as a function of y", this means that you aren't supposed to change the equations because x should be isolated, and it already is. Remember now that when you are integrating a function ##x=f(y)## that the bounds of integration will be from ##y=a## to ##y=b##, not X's.

So you don't have the manipulate the equations because x is already isolated, can you see where to go on from here?

4. Nov 24, 2012 #3
    Ahhh yes! Thank you! The wording confused me greatly; I think that was the problem. Thank you for your time.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook