Area of a plane enclosed within a cube

In summary, the problem involves finding the area of the plane y=3x enclosed within a cube formed by the planes x=y=z=±5. The solution involves finding the intersection points of the plane with the cube in the xy plane, and extending the plane vertically through all z values. The area is found by using the distance formula and is equal to 111.09, which differs from the given answer of 105.4 due to a misunderstanding of the z direction.
ViolentCorpse

Homework Statement

Find the area of the plane y=3x enclosed within the cube formed by the planes x=y=z= [itex]\pm[/itex] 5

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Using the equation y=3x, I found two points (x,y)=(5,1.66) and (x,y)=(-5,-1.66), then by plugging these points in the distance formula, I got the magnitude of one dimension equal to 10.54. I feel that the size of the other dimension must also be 10.54, so the area should be 111.09. But the answer given in my book is 105.4. I've been visualizing and thinking for hours on end about this, but I can't pin down what mistake I'm making.
It's such a simple problem, and I'm really very disappointed at my inability to think clearly. :/

Please help me. :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
You've done the hard part! In the z direction, the plane is vertical, so what is the extent of the plane within the cube?

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
You've done the hard part! In the z direction, the plane is vertical, so what is the extent of the plane within the cube?

Hello haruspex,

Since the plane given is the xy plane, I think the extent of the plane in the z direction should be 0? :confused:

ViolentCorpse said:
Hello haruspex,

Since the plane given is the xy plane, I think the extent of the plane in the z direction should be 0? :confused:

I think you mean the two intersection points in the x-y plane are (x,y)=(5/3,5) and (x,y)=(-5/3,-5). Your intersection surface is a rectangle, so yes, one side is approximately 10.54. I don't know how you are visualizing the other side to be the same. Try again. So far, every thing is just in the x-y plane. z goes from -5 to 5. So??

Likes 1 person
Dick said:
I think you mean the two intersection points in the x-y plane are (x,y)=(5/3,5) and (x,y)=(-5/3,-5).

I think this is the core misunderstanding from my part. The way I see it, the y=3x plane is just a tilted version of the bottom/top face of the cube (these faces have no z direction, do they?). So, I imagine a horizontal plane inside the cube, and this is why I think there should be no z involved... :confused:

I am wrong, I just need you to help me see why.

Thank you so much!

ViolentCorpse said:
I think this is the core misunderstanding from my part. The way I see it, the y=3x plane is just a tilted version of the bottom/top face of the cube (these faces have no z direction, do they?). So, I imagine a horizontal plane inside the cube, and this is why I think there should be no z involved... :confused:
A plane defined by y=3x takes all z values independently of x and y. It is the line y=3x in the xy plane extended vertically through all z values.

Likes 1 person
haruspex said:
A plane defined by y=3x takes all z values independently of x and y. It is the line y=3x in the xy plane extended vertically through all z values.

Ohhh! Wow, I feel so stupid now. It makes perfect sense.

Thank you so much, haruspex! I REALLY appreciate your valuable help! Thanks a ton! :smile:

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a plane enclosed within a cube?

The formula for finding the area of a plane enclosed within a cube is 6 times the length of one side squared. This is because a cube has 6 identical square faces.

2. How do you measure the length of one side of a cube?

To measure the length of one side of a cube, you can use a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance between two opposite corners of the cube.

3. Are all the faces of a cube the same size?

Yes, all the faces of a cube are the same size. This is because a cube is a three-dimensional shape with six identical square faces.

4. Can you use the same formula to find the area of any plane enclosed within a cube?

Yes, the same formula can be used to find the area of any plane enclosed within a cube. This is because all the faces of a cube are identical squares, so the area of each face will be the same.

5. Is there a difference between the area of a plane enclosed within a cube and the surface area of a cube?

Yes, there is a difference between the area of a plane enclosed within a cube and the surface area of a cube. The area of a plane enclosed within a cube only refers to the area of one face, while the surface area of a cube refers to the total area of all six faces combined.