1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Area Of An Isosceles Triangle As A Function Of Theta

1. Aug 12, 2013 #1
    Would this would the proper function, as described in the title of this thread, [itex]A = 1/2 x^2 \cos \frac{\theta}{2}[/itex]?

And suppose that the side x and the angle were changing with time, would the derivative, with respect to time, be [itex]\frac{dA}{dt} = x \cos \frac{\theta}{2} - 1/4 x^2 \sin \frac{\theta}{2}[/itex]?

Did I properly derive these?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2013 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could use some parentheses in those expressions. A much easier formula to work with is$$A =\frac 1 2 x^2\sin\theta$$

4. Aug 13, 2013 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I neglected to answer that. The answer is no.

5. Aug 13, 2013 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You really have left a lot to us to interpret. I assume that you mean that "[itex]\theta[/itex]" is the "vertex" angle- the one opposite the "odd" side. Further, I assume that you are taking "x" to be the length of the two congruent sides. I can't be certain because you do not say any of that.

If that is what you intended, the dropping a perpendicular from the vertex gives two right triangles with angle [itex]\theta/2[/itex] and hypotenuse of length x. The "opposite side", half the base of the original triangle, has length [itex]x sin(\theta/2)[/itex] and the "near side", the altitude of the original triangle, is [itex]x cos(\theta/2)[/itex]. The whole base of the triangle is [itex]2x sin(\theta/2)[/itex] and so the area is [tex]A= (1/2)(2 x sin(\theta/2))(x cos(\theta/2))= x^2 sin(\theta/2) cos(\theta/2)[/itex].

In any case, your result, [itex]dA/dt= xcos(\theta/2)- (1/4)x^2 sin(\theta/2)[/itex] cannot possibly be correct because there is no derivative with respect to time. If A is a function of x and y and both are functions of t, then [itex]dA/dt= (\partial A/\partial x)(dx/dt)+ (\partial A/\partial y)(dy/dt)[/itex]. You have only "[itex]\partial A/\partial x+ \partial A/\partial y[/itex]".

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted