Change of boundaries for an integration by substitution....

In summary, the given integral can be transformed into a new form using a substitution. The boundaries for the new form can be determined by setting the upper boundary equal to the computed value of π/8 and the lower boundary equal to 0. This results in a simplified integral that can be solved to obtain the final answer of 2√2-1-π.
scotty_le_b

Homework Statement

Let:
##I=\int _{-1} ^{1}{\frac{dx}{\sqrt{1+x}+\sqrt{1-x}+2}}##
Show that ##I=\int_{0}^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}{\frac{2cos4t}{cos^{2}t}}## using ##x=sin4t##.
Hence show that ##I=2\sqrt{2}-1- \pi##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The substitution is ##x=sin4t## which means that ##dx=4cos4t##. So for the upper boundary ##x=1##, that means ##4t= \frac{ \pi}{2}## and ##t=\frac{\pi}{8}##. For ##x=-1## I'd expect the boundary to be ##t=\frac{- \pi}{8}## but the answer has the lower boundary as zero. I just can't see how they get zero from ##x=-1##.

Using that substitution and the boundaries from the question the integral becomes:
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{\sqrt{1+sin4t}+\sqrt{1-sin4t}+2}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{\sqrt{1+2sin2tcos2t}+\sqrt{1-2sin2tcos2t}+2}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{\sqrt{cos^{2}2t+2sin2tcos2t+sin^{2}2t}+\sqrt{cos^{2}2t-2sin2tcos2t+sin^{2}2t}+2}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{\sqrt{(cos2t+sin2t)^2}+\sqrt{(cos2t-sin2t)^2}+2}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{cos2t+sin2t+cos2t-sin2t+2}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{2cos2t+2}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{2(cos2t+1)}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{2(2cos^{2}t)}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{4cos4t}{4cos^{2}t}}dt##
##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{cos4t}{cos^{2}t}}dt##

[/B]
I can get from the second part to the final answer but I'm really struggling on how to get from that first form they give to the second. I always seem to be a factor of 2 out and can't understand that boundary change.

Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand why for the upper boundary you the take the value you computed (##\pi /8##) and not the value from the question (##\pi /2##), while for the lower boundary you ignore the computed value and just plug in the 0.

Taking your computed values for both boundaries would give you ##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{-\frac{ \pi}{8}}{\frac{cos4t}{cos^{2}t}}dt##.
As the integrated function is even that would give ##I=\int^{\frac{ \pi}{8}}_{0}{\frac{2cos4t}{cos^{2}t}}dt##.

Another point I don't understand: the given value for I (##2\sqrt{2}-1- \pi##) is negative, and that is impossible for the integral of a positive function.

Sorry that's a typo it should read ##\frac{\pi}{8}## in the question not ##\frac{\pi}{2}##.

Ah yeah of course that makes perfect sense. Thank you so much!

What is a change of boundaries for an integration by substitution?

A change of boundaries for an integration by substitution is a method used to solve integrals by substituting a new variable for the original variable in the integral. This allows for the boundaries of the integral to be changed, making it easier to solve.

When should a change of boundaries be used for an integration by substitution?

A change of boundaries should be used when the original boundaries of the integral are difficult to integrate or when the substitution creates simpler boundaries that are easier to integrate.

What is the process for changing boundaries in an integration by substitution?

The process for changing boundaries in an integration by substitution involves substituting a new variable, solving for the new boundaries in terms of the new variable, and then substituting those boundaries into the integral.

What are the benefits of using a change of boundaries in an integration by substitution?

The benefits of using a change of boundaries in an integration by substitution include simplifying the integral, making it easier to solve, and potentially allowing for more efficient and accurate solutions.

Are there any limitations or restrictions when using a change of boundaries in an integration by substitution?

Yes, there are limitations when using a change of boundaries in an integration by substitution. The substitution must be valid and the new boundaries must still cover the same area as the original boundaries in order for the solution to be accurate.