Areas of research in Medical Physics

In summary, the person is preparing for an upcoming interview with three Medical Physics PhD programs and is unsure of which area of research they want to focus on. They are wondering if they should read up on the current research of the programs and which area of research tends to have better career opportunities. The expert suggests having a good understanding of the programs' research and being able to explain why they are interested in that specific program. They also mention that radiation therapy is the most in-demand area in medical physics, but there is potential for growth in MR-related skill sets, especially with the integration of MRI into radiation therapy treatment planning. There is also ongoing research in areas such as process engineering and data mining in radiation therapy.
Lawrencel2
Hello everyone,

I have an upcoming interview with 3 great CAMPEP accredited Medical Physics PhD programs soon. I have went through my BS and MS in physics, with a few courses in Medical Physics (MRI/MRS, Radiation measurement labs, and currently taking Radiation Oncology Undergraduate course) and some relevant research in the field.

While I think academically I am prepared, I am still fairly uncertain which area of research I intend to work in.. I know I will need to discuss my plans during the interview, but in all honesty, I have no clue what area interests me most. However, I can certainly rule out nuclear medicine as I don't seem to really like it.

During the interview, should I have read through their current research, or will simply knowing a brief description of their work be sufficient?
Also, which area of research tends to be the best for career opportunities? I am stuck between MR and Rad Therapy.
If any of you can provide some feedback, that would be wonderful.

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as the admission interview goes, I don't think anyone is going to expect that you will have read in-depth the papers of every professor in the department. You should have a good idea of what they're working on though, and no one should have to tell you to read up as much as you can on the research that you find interesting. Try to have good answers to questions like: Why do you want to do your PhD with THIS program? What research is going on in the department that you find interesting and why?

EDIT: if you don't know what you find interesting (other than a general interest in the area as a whole), this is a good time to be doing some background and exploratory reading. Starting with papers that professors at these programs have worked on is good. You can also browse journals like Medical Physics and Physics in Medicine and Biology for recent review articles.

Radiation therapy is about 80% of the field of medical physics these days. That's because it tends to have a lot more clinical demand. MRI medical physicists tend to be a lot more academically oriented in my experience, and so there is not as much clinical demand for them currently. That said, we're starting to see a number of hybrid linac-MR machines coming online and so I suspect there will be a lot of growth in the coming years for those who bring MR-related skill sets into the clinic. Over the past decade or so we've also seen integration of MRI into the radiation therapy treatment planning process: both with MR-based simulation and the use of techniques that visualize physiological processes to help define target volumes and I suspect this is going to progress towards a standard of care.

On the therapy side of things I'm starting to see a lot of interest in areas like process engineering, data mining and outcomes research, the use of nanoparticles of radiation research. There is also a lot of ongoing research in areas like image guidance (again linac-MR, but also cone-beam CT-based guidance).

Last edited:
Likes Panagiotis

1. What is Medical Physics?

Medical Physics is a field of science that uses principles of physics and engineering to understand and solve problems related to medicine and healthcare. It involves the application of physics concepts and techniques to diagnose and treat diseases, as well as improve healthcare technologies and techniques.

2. What are the areas of research in Medical Physics?

The areas of research in Medical Physics include radiation therapy, medical imaging, nuclear medicine, medical ultrasound, and biomedical engineering. These areas involve the use of different physical and mathematical principles to develop and improve medical technologies and treatments.

3. How are Medical Physics researchers contributing to advancements in healthcare?

Medical Physics researchers are constantly working to develop new technologies and techniques to improve the accuracy and effectiveness of medical treatments. They also play a crucial role in ensuring the safety and quality of medical equipment and procedures.

4. What types of equipment and tools do Medical Physics researchers use?

Medical Physics researchers use a variety of equipment and tools such as x-ray machines, magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scanners, ultrasound machines, and radiation therapy machines. They also use computer software and simulations to model and analyze medical processes.

5. What are some current challenges in Medical Physics research?

Some current challenges in Medical Physics research include developing more precise and targeted treatments for diseases, reducing the side effects of radiation therapy, and improving the accuracy and speed of medical imaging techniques. There is also a need for more interdisciplinary collaboration between medical physicists, physicians, and other healthcare professionals to address complex medical issues.