Argument of a random complex no. lying on given line segment.

In summary, the OP was trying to find the most suitable answer to the following question: find the most suitable solution for arg(z) which is z lying on the line segment between -3 + 5i and -5 - 3i. They needed to find the most suitable solution from the following options: -3π/4, π/4, 5π/6, and π/6. After trying a few solutions with a calculator, they found that -3∏/4 or 5∏/6 were the most suitable.
Ricky_15

Homework Statement

In the argand plane z lies on the line segment joining # z_1 = -3 + 5i # and # z_2 = -5 - 3i # . Find the most suitable answer from the following options .

A) -3∏/4

B) ∏/4

C) 5∏/6

D) ∏/6

2. MY ATTEMPT AT THE SOLUTION

We get two points ( -3 , 5 ) & ( -5 , -3 ) => The line segment must intersect x - axis and lie in the 2nd and 3rd quadrant .
=> #z# lies on x-axis or 2nd or 3rd qudrant .

But , since there is no option ∏ , so z must be lying in 2nd or 3rd quadrant.

=> -3∏/4 or 5∏/6 should be the solution .

I can't proceed further from here so as to differentiate between the above two choices.

The answer in the book is : 5∏/6 .

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The set of choices is only defined as far as directions from the origin. So I would think the approach is to find the arguments of z1 and z2.

Last edited:
How is your line situated with respect to the line ##y = x##, which is where a ##z## with argument ##-\frac{3\pi}{4}## would be? Draw a graph.

You could also compute the argument : z=end-start and arg z or atan dy/dx

Hello Rick, :welcome:

If you pick random points on the line between those two points on your drawing, the average postion of those points should end up where, do you think ? You calculated the intersection with the negative x-axis, but you should have calculated the midpoint of the line segment. The angle that is closest to the argument of that point is your best answer.

Oh, and: you did draw a graph, I hope ?

:smile:

Ricky_15 said:

Homework Statement

In the argand plane z lies on the line segment joining # z_1 = -3 + 5i # and # z_2 = -5 - 3i # . Find the most suitable answer from the following options .

A) -3π/4

B) π/4

C) 5π/6

D) π/6
Is that a complete statement of the problem - word for word?

If not, please give a complete statement of the problem - word for word. Also, if a portion of your question is in the thread title, please include it in the body of the thread as well.

Anyone want to give odds on the OP ever returning to this thread?

##\displaystyle \ \left(\frac{1}{e}\right)^\pi \ ##

SammyS said:
##\displaystyle \ \left(\frac{1}{e}\right)^\pi \ ##
That's completely irrational. Probably.

Likes Samy_A, Mentallic and SammyS
SammyS said:
Is that a complete statement of the problem - word for word?

If not, please give a complete statement of the problem - word for word. Also, if a portion of your question is in the thread title, please include it in the body of the thread as well.

I am extremely sorry . I was in a hurry . Thats not the complete question . The question asked for " find the suitable solution for arg(z) " .

Ricky_15 said:
I am extremely sorry . I was in a hurry . Thats not the complete question . The question asked for " find the suitable solution for arg(z) " .
Have you tried my suggestion in post #2?

Likes Ricky_15
haruspex said:
Have you tried my suggestion in post #2?
Yup that solved it , but for that I needed a calculator to find tan inverse 3/5 & 5/3 .

1. What is the argument of a complex number?

The argument of a complex number is the angle between the positive real axis and the vector representing the complex number in the complex plane. It is typically measured in radians or degrees.

2. How is the argument of a complex number calculated?

The argument of a complex number can be calculated using trigonometric functions. Specifically, the argument can be found by taking the inverse tangent of the imaginary part divided by the real part.

3. What does it mean for a complex number to lie on a given line segment?

A complex number is said to lie on a given line segment if its position in the complex plane falls on the line segment when plotted. This means that the real and imaginary parts of the complex number satisfy the equation of the given line segment.

4. How is the argument of a random complex number on a given line segment determined?

The argument of a random complex number on a given line segment can be determined by first finding the equation of the line segment. Then, the complex number can be substituted into the equation to determine the argument.

5. Can the argument of a complex number on a given line segment be negative?

Yes, the argument of a complex number on a given line segment can be negative. This occurs when the complex number lies in the lower half of the complex plane, below the negative real axis.