1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Least distance between two complex numbers on two loci

1. Apr 19, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a CIE A'level maths P3 question out of an exam from 2013 in October/November. As there is no markscheme ( I at least can't find one), I would be grateful if someone could look at my solution to the problem and correct me if I made a mistake.
    The problem is 8.(b) below.
    IMG_1880.PNG
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    The first locus they are asking for is that of a circle with centre (0,-1) and radius 1 and the second locus is a line 135 deg. to the horizontal (real number axis) starting at x=2. I call z1 and z2 the points which will give the least value of abs(z-w). Both these points must lie on a line l2. My further working and sketch of loci and the line are in the following image.In the last step I use the distance formula for the two complex numbers I calculated in the earlier steps. In the earlier steps I equated the equation of l2 and the equations for the loci.
    IMG_1908.JPG

Thanks for any effort! And sorry for the clumsy exposition!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2017 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I get the same result. You can simplify it to √2 + 1/√2 - 1

4. Apr 20, 2017 #3
    Thanks! That is great! Is my method correct and is there any general method how to approach these problems geometrically or is it just case by case observation? I know of a calculus based approach. As far as I know one expresses abs(z-w) in terms the general coordinates of any point on the loci and then sets the derivative equal to zero. Is this correct? And how would the general form for abs(z-w) look like? Thanks for any further effort?

5. Apr 20, 2017 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

A general method (not just circles and lines) will necessarily be by calculus. Of course, minimising |z-w| is the same as minimising |z-w|2, which simplifies things a little.
    In many cases, it will be a bit easier with a geometric approach. In this one, I did it by rotating the circle's centre through 45 degrees about the origin. Then I only needed the horizontal distance from the circle to the line x=√2.

6. Apr 20, 2017 #5
    Thanks a lot ! And interesting approach. I will keep that in mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted