Arithmetic Sequence Problem

In summary, the two problems have two different solutions. The first problem has a solution of -4n + 204 for a_n and b_n. For the second problem, sin(x)+ 2d= cos(x) and sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1. So sin(x)+ 2d= cos(x) and sin(x)+ d= sqrt(3)/4. Putting these two into sin(x)+ 2d= cos(x): sin(x)+ 2sqrt(3)/4- 2sin(x)= cos(x).
asd1249jf

Homework Statement

Problem 1:

Two Arithmetic Sequences are given.

[lat]a_n = 200,196,192,188,184...[/lat]
[ltaex]b_n = 100,103,106,109,112...[/itex]

For integers l,m, find the number of pairs consisting of (l,m) which satifies condition [itex]a_l = b_m[/itex]

Problem 2:

Three terms, sin(x), sqrt(3)/4, cos(x) form an arithmetic sequence. Find 2 |tan(x) + 1/tan(x)|

Homework Equations

[itex] a_n = a + (n-1)d[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For problem 1:

The equations formed for both arithmetic sequences are

[itex]a_n = -4n + 204[/itex]
[itex]b_n = 3n + 97[/itex]

I thought about making them equal to find the exact n which both a_n and b_n is equal of but I'm pretty sure that's not the correct way to do it. What should I do?

And for Problem 2:

since three terms are in incremental sequence, we can find that

sqrt(3)/4 = (sin(x) + cos(x)) / 2

which yields

sqrt(3)/2 = sin(x) + cos(x)

I feel like I need to do something with trigonometric identity to substitute that, so I tried:

2|tan^2(x) + 1 / tan(x)|

= 2|sec^2(x) / tan(x)|

= 2|1/cos(x)(sin(x)|

which didn't get me anywhere.
Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
What.. is latex tag broken..?

a_l = b_n
200 - ( l -1)*4 = 100 + (n-1)*3
Simplifying you will get
107 = 4l + 3n
Try n = 9, 19, 29,...so on.

rl.bhat said:
a_l = b_n
200 - ( l -1)*4 = 100 + (n-1)*3
Simplifying you will get
107 = 4l + 3n
Try n = 9, 19, 29,...so on.

I understand how you simplified the equation.. but where did you get the idea of plugging 9,19,29 for n?

nvm i see it now. TY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Uh so anyone got an idea about second problem?

Three terms, sin(x), sqrt(3)/4, cos(x) form an arithmetic sequence. Find 2 |tan(x) + 1/tan(x)|

So sin(x)+ d= sqrt(3)/4, and sin(x)+ 2d= cos(x). From sin(x)+ d= \sqrt(3)/4, d= sqrt(3)/4- sin(x). Put that into sin(x)+ 2d= cos(x): sin(x)+ 2sqrt(3)/4- 2sin(x)= cos(x)

cos(x)= 2sqrt(3)/4- sin(x) Since we also know that sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1, we can solve for sin(x) and cos(x).

sin(x) + cos(x) = sqrt(3)/2

Square both the sides,

sin^2(x) + co^2(x) + 2*sin(x)cos(x) = 3/4

2*sin(x)cos(x) = (3/4) - 1 = -(1/4)

Now proceed.

What is an arithmetic sequence?

An arithmetic sequence is a sequence of numbers where the difference between each consecutive pair of numbers is the same. This difference is called the common difference, and it can be positive, negative, or zero.

How do I find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence?

To find the common difference in an arithmetic sequence, subtract any term from the term that comes after it. The result will be the common difference.

How do I find the nth term in an arithmetic sequence?

The nth term in an arithmetic sequence can be found using the formula: an = a1 + (n-1)d, where an is the nth term, a1 is the first term, and d is the common difference.

What is the formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence?

The formula for the sum of an arithmetic sequence is: Sn = (n/2)(a1 + an), where Sn is the sum of the first n terms, a1 is the first term, and an is the nth term.

What is the difference between an arithmetic sequence and a geometric sequence?

An arithmetic sequence has a common difference between each pair of consecutive terms, while a geometric sequence has a common ratio between each pair of consecutive terms. In other words, in an arithmetic sequence, you add a constant number to each term to get the next one, whereas in a geometric sequence, you multiply each term by a constant number to get the next one.