Arrange bulbs in descending order of brightness

• Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brightness
In summary, the conversation discussed a problem with resistors in series and parallel circuits, and the brightness of bulbs connected to them. The speaker initially solved the problem by assuming numerical values for the resistors, but wanted to find a logical approach that required less calculation. Another participant suggested considering the relationship between current, resistance, and power to determine which bulbs would be brighter. This led to a discussion about which bulbs would be brighter in different scenarios, ultimately resulting in the descending order of bulb brightness: B1 and B4, B3, and B2. The speaker expressed gratitude for learning a new way to approach such problems.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

bulbs.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Sorry for the messy image .

I have got the right answer by assuming certain values of the resistors . But I would like to know whether this question can be done logically without assigning numerical values to the resistors .

Initially when S2 is open and S1 is on position 2 , all the resistors are in series .Same current flows through them . The one with higher resistance will have higher power dissipated and will flow brighter .From this I concluded R2>R1>(R3=R4) .

Now S2 is closed and S1 is on position 1.This makes R2 in parallel with R1 .

Now I assigned some numbers to the resistors such that R2>R1>(R3=R4) and checked the respective i2R values .Then compared it with their initial i2R values .

Could someone suggest an alternative/faster approachwhuch requires lesser calculation to solve this problem .

Thanks

Attachments

• bulbs.jpg
    bulbs.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,047
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
1.This makes R2 in parallel with R1**R3 .
Jahnavi said:
Now I assigned some numbers to the resistors such that R2>R1>(R3=R4) and checked the respective i2R values .Then compared it with their initial i2R values .
In the new circuit, current is same for two bulbs (B1 and B4).
Which is brighter?

B3 will receive less current than B4 and R3=R4.
Which is brighter?

Voltage across B2 and B3 is same, but R2>R3.
Which is brighter?

What is the descending order then?

Last edited:
Likes Jahnavi
Wow ! Impressive reasoning :approve:

Exactly what I was looking for :smile: .

You have taught me a very nice way to think in such type of problems .

:dademyday:

Thanks a lot !

Likes cnh1995
Jahnavi said:
Wow ! Impressive reasoning :approve:

Exactly what I was looking for :smile: .

You have taught me a very nice way to think in such type of problems .

:dademyday:

Thanks a lot !
Thanks for giving me a new logic .you made my day

1. How can I arrange bulbs in descending order of brightness?

To arrange bulbs in descending order of brightness, you will need to compare the brightness levels of each bulb. Start by turning on all of the bulbs and visually comparing the brightness. Then, turn off the brightest bulb and repeat the process until all bulbs are turned off except for the least bright bulb.

2. What is the purpose of arranging bulbs in descending order of brightness?

The purpose of arranging bulbs in descending order of brightness is to easily identify the brightest and least bright bulbs. This can be useful for tasks such as creating a lighting design or replacing bulbs in a room.

3. How many bulbs can I arrange in descending order of brightness at once?

You can arrange as many bulbs as you want in descending order of brightness. However, it may be easier to compare and arrange smaller groups of bulbs at a time rather than trying to arrange all of them at once.

4. Can I use a tool or device to arrange bulbs in descending order of brightness?

Yes, there are tools and devices available that can measure the brightness of bulbs and assist in arranging them in descending order. These can be particularly useful for larger numbers of bulbs or for situations where visual comparison is difficult.

5. Do all bulbs have the same level of brightness?

No, different types of bulbs can have varying levels of brightness. For example, LED bulbs tend to be brighter than incandescent bulbs. Additionally, the age and quality of the bulb can also affect its brightness level.