Arrange bulbs in descending order of brightness

  • Thread starter Thread starter Jahnavi
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Brightness
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
3 replies · 3K views
Jahnavi
Messages
848
Reaction score
102

Homework Statement


bulbs.jpg


Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution


[/B]
Sorry for the messy image .

I have got the right answer by assuming certain values of the resistors . But I would like to know whether this question can be done logically without assigning numerical values to the resistors .

Initially when S2 is open and S1 is on position 2 , all the resistors are in series .Same current flows through them . The one with higher resistance will have higher power dissipated and will flow brighter .From this I concluded R2>R1>(R3=R4) .

Now S2 is closed and S1 is on position 1.This makes R2 in parallel with R1 .

Now I assigned some numbers to the resistors such that R2>R1>(R3=R4) and checked the respective i2R values .Then compared it with their initial i2R values .

Could someone suggest an alternative/faster approachwhuch requires lesser calculation to solve this problem .

Thanks
 
Attachments
  • bulbs.jpg
    bulbs.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,173
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
1.This makes R2 in parallel with R1**R3 .
Jahnavi said:
Now I assigned some numbers to the resistors such that R2>R1>(R3=R4) and checked the respective i2R values .Then compared it with their initial i2R values .
In the new circuit, current is same for two bulbs (B1 and B4).
Which is brighter?

B3 will receive less current than B4 and R3=R4.
Which is brighter?

Voltage across B2 and B3 is same, but R2>R3.
Which is brighter?

What is the descending order then?
 
Last edited:
Wow ! Impressive reasoning :approve:

Exactly what I was looking for :smile: .

You have taught me a very nice way to think in such type of problems .

:dademyday:

Thanks a lot !
 
Jahnavi said:
Wow ! Impressive reasoning :approve:

Exactly what I was looking for :smile: .

You have taught me a very nice way to think in such type of problems .

:dademyday:

Thanks a lot !
Thanks for giving me a new logic .you made my day