1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Voltage drop between two points

1. Dec 3, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    xzmxqxsnligtgjjl.png

The question is: What's the voltage drop between point A and B ?? (Suppose that E2 > E1)

2. The attempt at a solution

First, I need to solve the current flowing in this circuit, which can be done using KVL.
    The current flowing is ##\frac{E_2-E_1}{R_1+R_2+R_3+R_4}## (which is clockwise in direction because E2 is bigger than E1)

But,I get confused in determining voltage drop between point A and B
    I know that the formula is V = IR
    But, I'm confused about the value of the resistor..

Is it R1 + R2 (since from point A to B the current flows from R1 to R2) ???
    Or, should the resistor be the parallel series of R1-R2 and R3-R4 that makes an imaginary bridge between A and B ??

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 3, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Your first thought was correct. You determine the potential between two points by taking a "KVL walk" along a path that leads from one point to the other.

You could also have gone the other way around the loop (counterclockwise) from A to B, summing the potential changes along the way. In that case you would be "walking" against the current, so you'd see potential rises as you cross the resistors rather than drops.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted