Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Arthur C Clarke's space ships -- propulsion discussion

1. Feb 10, 2017 #1
    I've read Sir Arthur C Clerk's space odyssey series and curious of the propulsion technologies used in those ships. Ships like Universe and Galaxy of space odyssey 2061 use just water. The fiction speaks of "muon propulsion" too. The main spacecrafts that we see in his 'space odyssey' series are, Discovery(2001),galaxy & universe (2061), and Goliath (3001). I like to have a discussion on the propulsion technologies used in these ships and see how close to reality they are....

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2017 #2
    FYI, it's "Clark".

4. Feb 10, 2017 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Well, actually, it's "Clarke".

5. Feb 10, 2017 #4
    This is interesting: http://www.space.com/33537-spacecraft-of-arthur-c-clarke-stephen-baxter.html

That says that in Space Odyssey the ship was an fusion rocket, which is a perfectly reasonable technology. It was something that NASA was legitimately looking at and I think even had a prototype (at very least I know they had detailed plans.)

I don't see why muons would ever be used in propulsion. If you pushed it out an electromagnetic nozzle, it'd give you more kick than an electron, but it'd be nothing compared to the atomic nuclei that current ion engines produce. Not to mention that muons are not stable.

6. Feb 10, 2017 #5
    If I had put the E on the end you wouldn't have had something to post. :)

7. Mar 27, 2017 #6
    How long does it need to last. It only has to last long enough to react with the thruster and get far enough away from the ship to not mutate it's bum

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted