Arthur C Clarke's space ships -- propulsion discussion

In summary, In the Space Odyssey series by Arthur C. Clarke, the main spacecrafts used are Discovery (2001), Galaxy and Universe (2061), and Goliath (3001). These ships use fusion rocket technology, which was a legitimate technology being explored by NASA. The article linked also mentions the possibility of using muons for propulsion, but it is not considered a practical option compared to current ion engines. Overall, the propulsion technologies used in the series are based on real concepts and technologies, making them closer to reality.
HyperTechno
I've read Sir Arthur C Clerk's space odyssey series and curious of the propulsion technologies used in those ships. Ships like Universe and Galaxy of space odyssey 2061 use just water. The fiction speaks of "muon propulsion" too. The main spacecraft s that we see in his 'space odyssey' series are, Discovery(2001),galaxy & universe (2061), and Goliath (3001). I like to have a discussion on the propulsion technologies used in these ships and see how close to reality they are...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
FYI, it's "Clark".

Well, actually, it's "Clarke".

Likes DrClaude
This is interesting: http://www.space.com/33537- spacecraft -of-arthur-c-clarke-stephen-baxter.html

That says that in Space Odyssey the ship was an fusion rocket, which is a perfectly reasonable technology. It was something that NASA was legitimately looking at and I think even had a prototype (at very least I know they had detailed plans.)

I don't see why muons would ever be used in propulsion. If you pushed it out an electromagnetic nozzle, it'd give you more kick than an electron, but it'd be nothing compared to the atomic nuclei that current ion engines produce. Not to mention that muons are not stable.

Likes HyperTechno
Vanadium 50 said:
Well, actually, it's "Clarke".
If I had put the E on the end you wouldn't have had something to post. :)

How long does it need to last. It only has to last long enough to react with the thruster and get far enough away from the ship to not mutate it's bum

1. What type of propulsion systems did Arthur C Clarke discuss for space ships?

Arthur C Clarke discussed several types of propulsion systems for space ships, including chemical rockets, ion drives, nuclear rockets, and solar sails.

2. Which propulsion system did Arthur C Clarke believe was the most efficient?

Arthur C Clarke believed that nuclear rockets were the most efficient type of propulsion system for space ships, as they could provide constant and powerful thrust for long periods of time.

3. Did Arthur C Clarke propose any new ideas for propulsion systems?

Yes, Arthur C Clarke proposed the idea of using lasers to power space ships through the use of light sails. This concept is still being explored and researched today.

4. How did Arthur C Clarke's ideas about propulsion systems impact the space industry?

Arthur C Clarke's ideas about propulsion systems helped to inspire and shape the development of new technologies for space travel. His writings and discussions on the subject have influenced engineers and scientists in their quest for more efficient and advanced propulsion systems.

5. Are any of Arthur C Clarke's discussed propulsion systems currently being used in space travel?

Yes, some of Arthur C Clarke's discussed propulsion systems, such as chemical rockets and solar sails, are currently being used in space travel. However, the more advanced concepts, such as ion drives and nuclear rockets, are still in the development and testing stages.