That is the advantage of being a science fiction writer, you can have a brilliant idea that may indeed be a possibility, like anti gravity flight, yet you don't have to provide any facts of science or the math behind such and idea to make it real in your writing. Does that mean Vern invented submarines? Since this effect is so common in fictional writing, one would not be to far out in left field, to assume that the creative process enables one to tap into the Universal Subconscious, where all ideas are hatched. Some make it into the real world through blood, sweat and hard scientific work, others just percolate up and out as ideas in creative endeavors. When technology catches up, they are often pulled into our reality as useful tools.
I work as a designer in the real world, and I can design all kinds of things that can be built but, I myself cannot build them, often many simply cannot be built within the limits of current technologies.