AS Physics Basic Kinematics Question

In summary, a sprinter moving horizontally takes off from a point 1.0m above the ground and lands 3.0m away. The sprinter's initial vertical velocity is 0. The time it takes for the sprinter to reach the ground is represented by s=ut+½at² where the initial vertical velocity= 0.45s and the final height is 0.
seiei

Homework Statement

A sprinter moving horizontally takes off from a point 1.0m above the ground and lands 3.0m away. Calculate how fast the sprinter is running.

Homework Equations

Attempted using SUVAT equations but too many unknowns (acceleration and time of travel) to figure out the initial speed.

The Attempt at a Solution

Tried using SUVAT equation as mentioned above but to no avail. Also mgh=½mv² but I think that only works when the object is falling in a straight line and not falling in a curved manner. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Here's a rough picture of the problem in case I'm not being specific enough

Attachments

• kinematics question.png
    kinematics question.png
    5 KB · Views: 507
The trick in these types of questions, is consider the two components (horizontal and vertical) of motion separately and apply the SUVAT equations independently to each component.

In this case could I use s=vt+½at² where the final velocity=0m/s, acceleration is gravitational force= 9.81m/s² and distance s= 3m?

seiei said:
In this case could I use s=vt+½at² where the final velocity=0m/s, acceleration is gravitational force= 9.81m/s² and distance s= 3m?
Careful! The final velocity is not zero. Think of when you drop an object vertically from height, its velocity just at the point of impact is non-zero.

Okay I'm feeling a bit lost now... If the final velocity is another unknown, how am I meant to resolve the vertical component?

seiei said:
Okay I'm feeling a bit lost now... If the final velocity is another unknown, how am I meant to resolve the vertical component?
What do you know about the vertical component?

There is a height of 1.0m and an acceleration of 9.81m/s²

seiei said:
There is a height of 1.0m and an acceleration of 9.81m/s²
What about the initial velocity in the vertical direction? And the final height?

Isn't the initial velocity the thing I'm trying to figure out? Or is that zero? And the final height is zero (?)

seiei said:
Isn't the initial velocity the thing I'm trying to figure out? Or is that zero? And the final height is zero (?)
You want to calculate the initial horizontal velocity. If the runner is initially moving horizontally, what is his initial vertical velocity?

Zero? I'm not entirely sure. Sorry bout this ><

seiei said:
Zero? I'm not entirely sure. Sorry bout this ><
Yes. So you now know the initial vertical velocity, the initial and final heights and the acceleration.

Now, what do you need to know in order to work out how fast the runner took off?

The time it takes for the runner to reach the ground? (sorry I have to go to bed now, GMT+12 makes it nearly quarter to 11 at night) Hopefully we can resume this tomorrow. Thank you for your time! :)

seiei said:
The time it takes for the runner to reach the ground? (sorry I have to go to bed now, GMT+12 makes it nearly quarter to 11 at night) Hopefully we can resume this tomorrow. Thank you for your time! :)
Correct! And you can get that from the vertical motion problem.

No problem and no need to apologise. These problems can seem confusing on the first attack.

So to find the time it takes for the runner to reach the ground is represented by s=ut+½at² where the initial vertical velocity= 0. Rearranging the equation makes t= 0.45s when a=9.81m/s². Then resolving the horizontal component using the same equation s=ut+½at² a= 0 meaning that u=3÷0.45= 6.64m/s. Is this right?

seiei said:
So to find the time it takes for the runner to reach the ground is represented by s=ut+½at² where the initial vertical velocity= 0. Rearranging the equation makes t= 0.45s when a=9.81m/s². Then resolving the horizontal component using the same equation s=ut+½at² a= 0 meaning that u=3÷0.45= 6.64m/s. Is this right?
You are indeed, correct. :approve:

Yuss! Thanks for your help Hootenanny! :D

seiei said:

Those figures seem OK.

Remember, the only quantity that is common to the vertical motion calculations and the horizontal calculations is time. and if you need the time to calculate something in the horizontal part, it can almost certainly be calculated from the vertical considerations, and vice versa.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the cause of the motion.

2. What are the basic equations of kinematics?

The basic equations of kinematics are velocity = displacement / time, average velocity = (initial velocity + final velocity) / 2, and displacement = (initial velocity + final velocity) x time / 2.

3. How is acceleration related to kinematics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity over time. In kinematics, acceleration is used in equations to analyze the motion of objects.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position.

5. How is time used in kinematics?

Time is used in kinematics to measure the duration of an object's motion and is a key component in equations that describe an object's displacement, velocity, and acceleration.